Washington DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

Okay folks, I have an interesting potential opportunity coming up, and I need some help.  I may be taking a job in the Washington DC area (actually right in Washington DC), but do not want to move there.  Apartments are danged expensive, and I figure, hey...I have this camper here, why not put it to use.  Now, I know this trailer is really not made to live in full time, but this is a temporary thing, maybe a year at the most (less if I have my way).  Anyway, does anyone know of any campgrounds in the DC area, preferably at least witihin commuting distance of a metro station, that is open year round and has long-term options?  Also, any hints or tips for cold-weather prepration for the trailer.  I would be looking for full hook-ups obviously, but there's gotta be some do's and don'ts with regard to almost assuredly freezing weather.  I really hate doing this, but it may end up being my only option.  Any advice/information would be appreciated.

Hi Ed,

There's only one campground with which I am familiar. It's in College Park about two miles or so from the Metro Station. It's called Cherry Hill Park. They are all quite expensive. We also stay at Aquia pines in Stafford, VA where our son lives. It's 40 miles south of DC and traffic would be horrendous. The train runs to DC and then you'd have to catch the Metro. The first Metro stop is in Springfield, VA which is a few miles up the road. I'd say Cherry Hill would be the best bet for catching the Metro easily.

Thanks Jim, those are two that I did find on my searching.  I'm really hoping this won't even happen, but if it does, I'd like to be at least somewhat prepared.

Ed,
Dont know if its too late or not,,, I just saw your post.? Have you checked http://rvparkreviews.com/ ?? You may be familiar with it, but many times you can find RV parks that are not listed in the camp ground guides.? You may also check some of the forums that cater to full timers.? They may have more info on RV parks that may suite you for this tour of duty.? There is another forum that has a pretty large audience too:? http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm .

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Cherry Hill Park is the best (and most expensive) park in the area.  But as of 2005, they no longer take long term residents.  We love it there and used to go there even when it was just 25 miles from our Maryland home.

If you want a good long term spot, try Take It Easy Ranch, in St. Mary's County, Maryland.  It is a long commute into DC, but thousands do it every day.  About an hour each way.  The good news is that they are equipped for winter, and have long term rates around $250 a month, which is not to bad for that part of the country.

There is also a KOA campground in Bowie MD that is pretty nice and an easy commute.  But I do not know what their long term policy is.

Overall, expect very high rates and crowds in the DC area.

Thanks guys.  I did not take the job in DC, thank God.  I really didn't want to go there.  I did however move to Houston.  Sort of.  My wife and son are still in San Antonio and will be for a while, but I'm in Houston working.  Too good a deal to pass up.  Anyway, hope to get out in that trailer again soon.

Ed,

I'm not sure if Houston is any easier than D.C.! ;D I've only been through there on I10 but it seems pretty daunting to me. D.C. is easy if you can use the Metro. I've even driven there but it's not my first choice. I try to stay away from that place as much as possible.

Well Jim, it's all about location.  I work right off of I-10 and 59 (right downtown).  But from the Northwest side, it only takes me about 25 minutes.  It's all the route you take.  I-10 is a real mess right now, especially on the west side, from about the Sam Houston Tollway out to Katy.  It will be a super nice highway when it's done, but boy is it horrible right now.  I avoid it like the plague.  Even when I have to go home to San Antonio, I go around.

edjunior said:
Well Jim, it's all about location.  I work right off of I-10 and 59 (right downtown).  But from the Northwest side, it only takes me about 25 minutes.  It's all the route you take.  I-10 is a real mess right now, especially on the west side, from about the Sam Houston Tollway out to Katy.  It will be a super nice highway when it's done, but boy is it horrible right now.  I avoid it like the plague.  Even when I have to go home to San Antonio, I go around.

Ed, I agree it depends upon location. Our son lives in Stafford, VA which is 40 miles south of D.C. When he was at the Pentagon he would leave around 4:30 in the morning to beat the traffic. Then he didn't get home sometimes until 7 or 8 at night!

Glad we aren't making the trip west for a couple of years. Perhaps I10 will be done by then! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom