Water discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi,

Today i potable water tank was almost dry so i filled it up, i usually dump my blank tank at the same time.  I use a 2 gal jug of water to pour down the toilet while the valve is open to help flush bottom of the black tank.  Anyway, when i filled up the water jug it was greenish light tint.  I thought maybe since the new jug i was using was a green tea jug that there must have been some left in it. But then i filled up the toilet in preparation for the big power flush, and the water in the toilet was the same color greenish. 

So i stopped the water fillup for a moment and i put 6 white plastic spoonfulls of bleach in the water spout and then finished filling it up.    I think for 2 gallons of water its 6 drops of bleach, i have a 79 gal water tank so im not sure if i over did it or need more.    Is 6 spoons enough. 

Thanks

I'm unclear where the greenish water came from. Water spigot? Your holding tank?

Regardless, it could be an algae.

If the green water came from your holding tank, you should shock it with bleach. For example, instead of the normal 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gal water, use 1/2 cup of bleach. If the green tint persists, re-shock with bleach.

Also, if you can, check the inside of the hose you use to fill your RV holding tank. I used a cotton swab. If you find any stringy green stuff, like this photo . . .
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/fixing00-algae0.jpg

. . . then cut open a small piece of hose. If it looks like this photo . . .
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/fixing01-algae2.jpg

. . . then throw away that hose.

Take your water jug and fill it up from the outside spigot. Then you'll know if it's the campground or your system.
When was the last time you sanitized your system?

zulu said:
I'm unclear where the greenish water came from. Water spigot? Your holding tank?

Regardless, it could be an algae.

If the green water came from your holding tank, you should shock it with bleach. For example, instead of the normal 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gal water, use 1/2 cup of bleach. If the green tint persists, re-shock with bleach.

Also, if you can, check the inside of the hose you use to fill your RV holding tank. I used a cotton swab. If you find any stringy green stuff, like this photo . . .
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/fixing00-algae0.jpg

. . . then cut open a small piece of hose. If it looks like this photo . . .
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/fixing01-algae2.jpg

. . . then throw away that hose.

Garden hoses can be cleaned out. I clean mine a few times per year.
Just cut a piece of scotch bright about 1/2"-3/4" X 2-3" long. Take the hose off the spigot and put on the scotchbright length wise. Put the hose back on the spigot & turn it all the way on. It will take a couple minutes to push it through and You'll be surprised how much green algae comes out. I do it two or three times in a row every time I do it.

skydivemark said:
Garden hoses can be cleaned out. I clean mine a few times per year.
Just cut a piece of scotch bright about 1/2"-3/4" X 2-3" long. Take the hose off the spigot and put on the scotchbright length wise. Put the hose back on the spigot & turn it all the way on. It will take a couple minutes to push it through and You'll be surprised how much green algae comes out. I do it two or three times in a row every time I do it.
Yeah, I tried that too. The Scotch bright got stuck mid hose. The fact that you have to clean your hose several times a years indicates it may not have been made algae-free in the first place. Bite the bullet, buy a new hose.

And if you're cleaning your hose for algae that much . . . suggest you get a UV filter which kills any incoming algae.

zulu said:
Yeah, I tried that too. The Scotch bright got stuck mid hose. The fact that you have to clean your hose several times a years indicates it may not have been made algae-free in the first place. Bite the bullet, buy a new hose.

And if you're cleaning your hose for algae that much . . . suggest you get a UV filter which kills any incoming algae.

Sorry but My comment was about a garden hose, not a sterile laboratory or holding tank.

zulu said:

Dark and wet places do tend to be places algae likes to grow.  Now let me explain a thing or two about hoses, being a hose expert.  I been using hoses for over 40 years (that's the part that makes me an expert) and I can tell ya that a lot of the time they are dark and wet.  Even when the hose is turned off sometimes there is still some water in there. You can't see it but it is still in there. The hose is usually thick and doesn't let much light through.  That makes it dark.  See you got an ideal place for algae to grow. 

Now this here is the important part.  That hose gets connected to campgrounds where lord only knows what was hooked to it or what kid blew their nose on it before you put your drinking water hose to it.  Heck, I have even seen people drag their hoses right over that part of the ground where the sewage always leaks out just a little bit when you disconnect it. You all know who you are and I have seen you pretending like nothing was wrong when you disconnected the sewage line and then drug it across the ground only to have one final plop come out before you threw it in your camper.  Some people drag their drinking hose over that part of the ground! 

Anyways, the long and the short of it is their is lots of ways algae can end up in a hose and they love it in there so no need to get all your panties up in a bunch and start suggesting people are being cheap 'cause they don't buy a new hose every time a little green stuff gets in there.  Heck maybe it aint even algae.  Maybe its buggers.

To the OP - You outta shock that system proper.  And maybe swing by your friendly WalMart and grab a case of H20 until you get this sorted out.  When you're singing in the shower don't pretend the shower head is a microphone.  Ya might get sick from that.

zulu said:

I shock my hose by coiling it up empty, then pouring about 1/4 cup of bleach into it and connecting the ends together.

Hold the coil vertically like a tire and use your arms in the middle of the coil to rotate it several times, so the bleach resting in the bottom of a loop travels the full length of the hose.

Wait a few minutes and then connect the hose to a spigot., Turn it on full force and let the water blow out everything the bleach loosened up.

Then drain the hose and store it empty with the ends connected to each other so the buggers stay out.

I do this to my water hoses twice a year and never had any problems with algae buildup.  Not even in one spare hose that's been around for 25 years.

Lou Schneider said:
I shock my hose by coiling it up empty, then pouring about 1/4 cup of bleach into it and connecting the ends together.

Hold the coil vertically like a tire and use your arms in the middle of the coil to rotate it several times, so the bleach resting in the bottom of a loop travels the full length of the hose.

Wait a few minutes and then connect the hose to a spigot., Turn it on full force and let the water blow out everything the bleach loosened up.

Then drain the hose and store it empty with the ends connected to each other so the buggers stay out.

I do this to my water hoses twice a year and never had any problems with algae buildup.  Not even in one spare hose that's been around for 25 years.
Great idea Lou, I do pretty much the same thing for my RV hose. I also drain it before putting it back in the storage compartment. I know it's not completely drained and dry but I'm hoping it helps a little, not to mention making it a bit lighter.

skydivemark said:
My garden hose is NOT used for my RV (except for washing it). Like most people I know My RV has its own lead free hose for drinking water.

There's lead in a garden hose?  That explains why they are so dang heavy!  Even a 40 year hose expert is still learning!

They should make a lead free version for those of us with bad backs. :-\

Usually the lead is in the metal end connectors, if it's present at all.  The plastic the hose is made out of is also certified safe for drinking water while an ordinary garden hose can be made out of anything from used tires on up.

In any case, I think the danger is overblown.  The water won't absorb harmful amounts of anything as long as it's flowing freely through the hose.  That's why we were all able to drink from free flowing garden hoses while we were growing up without ill effects.

The problem is when the water sits in the hose for a while so any harmful compounds in the surrounding material can seep into it.  When I'm connected to shore water I let it flow for 10-15 seconds to get rid of the old water that's been sitting in the hose before I use it for drinking or cooking purposes.

No doubt. I also let it run a minute or 2 before hooking it up.
I wanted a hose just for the RV so I figured one "safe" for drinking water wasn't much different in price.
Drinking from the hose while growing up? I guess I'm still growing up - along with my dogs ?.

KandT said:
Now let me explain a thing or two about hoses, being a hose expert.  I been using hoses for over 40 years (that's the part that makes me an expert) and I can tell ya that a lot of the time they are dark and wet.

Anyways, the long and the short of it is their is lots of ways algae can end up in a hose and they love it in there so no need to get all your panties up in a bunch and start suggesting people are being cheap 'cause they don't buy a new hose every time a little green stuff gets in there.  Heck maybe it aint even algae.  Maybe its buggers.

Aw shucks, KantT, you sure be the pro! 40 years hosing hoses! Dat sure don't beat all! Buggers??? What a knee slapper! Nothin' matter with a little bit 'o algae in de ol' RV . . . until, of course, it becomes a whole lotta green buggers!!!

Thanks everyone, yes it was the inside sink water.  I tested the camp water today and it looks good.  I always let the waterhose run for about half a min before i fill up just to clean it out.  The toilet water looks better today, but i added 1 cup of bleach to the tank today just in case.  I drink bottled water anyway, and if i have to take a shower in bleach water it wont be the first time.  Its been two years since i sanitized it last time. 

I have been doing a bad thing, yep  i been leaving my hose out laying on the ground in between fills so yeah the sun bakes on it and im sure it gets stuff growing in it, but i figured running it for a few min every few days would keep it fresh, i guess not...

Back
Top Bottom