water draining in shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

I notice that when I turn on the water in the tub, the water drains as it's running. However, once I turn the water off, most of the water drains, but some water just sits in the pipes indefinitely. The drain doesn't seem clogged because the tub never fills up with water, but there is always just a little water sitting in the drainpipe that I can see from the top. Is this an RV thing? Is this normal?

Sis in the pipes? Are you looking down the drain, or is it in the tub itself? Is the RV level, or perhaps tilted a little one way or the other?

Short answer is NO, this is not an "RV thing".

Right -- If you're looking down the drain and seeing a water line, that's the drain trap holding water on purpose. That's the setup of every drain in your house too... just open the kitchen cabinet under the sink and take a look at the U-shaped trap. Your RV has those too, to catch/hold solids as well as provide a water barrier for odors from the tank.

For what it's worth......
Our trailer has a HepvO type trap for the shower. So for the most part there is no standing water in the drain.

Image result for how a p trap works
A p-trap traps water in its dip, sealing off the pipe. As water flows down the drain, the water level rises and flows down the drain pipe with accompanying waste to the sewage system. As the water stops flowing, the water balances out and new water becomes trapped again in the dip of the p-trap.

View attachment 146395
A p-trap traps water in its dip, sealing off the pipe. As water flows down the drain, the water level rises and flows down the drain pipe with accompanying waste to the sewage system. As the water stops flowing, the water balances out and new water becomes trapped again in the dip of the p-trap.
Oh, awesome description, thanks so much! I think that's probably what I have.

Back
Top Bottom