Water Heater Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akajulz

I live in a 31 foot TT that is 21 years old. I am in a little RV/Trailer park in San Jose for the past 8 years, so full shore power and 85psi water pressure. They just upgraded the whole park to new 50 amp service.

My 21 year old 6 gallon water heater is dead. I do not want a new 6 gallon water heater as I want a real shower. The options are tankless or a 20 gallon point of use that I will have to build a waterproof shelter for in my backyard. That comes with it's own set of codes via the state of California and we are having an inspection this summer. Natural gas is out of the question as there is an 8 month service backup to have PG&E come out to install gas lines.

I see people complain about tankless water heaters but most of the complaints are a result of lack of water pressure and at 85psi I should have no problems. I need about a 45 degree rise in temperature from the ground water in winter. I don't have a dishwasher or clothes washing machine. I am the only one here so no washing of dishes will be done at the same time I am taking a shower. If I buy the point of use 20 gallon which has to be hardwired to the new 50 amp panel and then build the enclosure it seems like it would cost just as much as the tankless that will fit in the same spot as the old 6 gallon.

The new 50 amp upgrade is about 12 feet from my trailer, and the old 30 amp electrical box is about 3 feet from my trailer. I don't know how many additional parts are included for either water heater but my friend won't charge me any labor to install the water heater. I have no idea which water heater is more labor intensive. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

This is the 20 gallon I chose. I live half a mile from Home Depot and I can just go pick it up and put it in my car.

Attachments

• electrical.jpg
    electrical.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
What is your plan to keep the hot water -er hot between water heater enclosure and faucets in the travel trailer? Or do you just plan to spend more money heating and wasting energy replacing the now-cooled water in the pipe between heater and trailer with every use?

What is your plan to keep the hot water -er hot between water heater enclosure and faucets in the travel trailer? Or do you just plan to spend more money heating and wasting energy replacing the now-cooled water in the pipe between heater and trailer with every use?
I don't completely understand your question. Are you referring to the tankless situation or the point of use or both?

Every time I turn on a faucet in a house or in any type of dwelling it always has to warm up regardless of the water heater situation so I am confused. The water heats up faster in my TT with a standard water heater because the distance is about three feet from the heater to the bathroom faucet but not as quickly to my kitchen faucet or in my shower.

Another alternative is to replace your 6 gallon heater with an Atwood XT6, which effectively makes it a 9 gallon heater.

I don't completely understand your question. Are you referring to the tankless situation or the point of use or both?

Every time I turn on a faucet in a house or in any type of dwelling it always has to warm up regardless of the water heater situation so I am confused. The water heats up faster in my TT with a standard water heater because the distance is about three feet from the heater to the bathroom faucet but not as quickly to my kitchen faucet or in my shower.
I was referring to the separate enclosure you plan to build outside the trailer to house the 20G heater, which is too large to place inside the trailer. The piping distance will be much more than inside.
Gary offered an excellent recommendation instead of the 20G unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom