Water Heater Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Racer-Ref

My family has inherited my Dad's motor home. A 2002 Jayco Designer. We are very new to this. The water heater went out. We need to replace. Looking for a used one. Suggestions on surplus dealers to find one? It's an Atwood GC6AA-9E. We pulled the old one, and the tank is gone, and some wires look like they got very hot. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• water 1.jpg
    water 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
  • water 2.jpg
    water 2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 21
  • water 3.jpg
    water 3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 21
Go online and look for new ones. Depending on model they're not that expensive. Sure better than dumping money on something your unsure of.

The tank can be replaced by almost anyone who knows which end of a screwdriver to turn. Not terribly expensive either.

I used to go to a shop in Moro Bay that always had them in stock. Unfortunately they closed due to Covid.

The hard part is getting the water heater out.

I would personally opt to replace the whole shebang and perhaps a good used one can be found.

Finding a qualified aluminum welder might be nigh on impossible. And the cost probably more than a new unit.
Quality welders are all over the place. Most any sheet metal shop will have a aluminum welder in house. I would think it wouldn’t cost anymore than $50.00

Last edited:
Atwood tanks are easily welded if it is not totally corroded inside. If it was left with water in it, it may be badly corroded, but if just split from freezing, it should be easy to weld. Lots of them done after the big Texas deep freeze a couple of years ago.

The problem is, that size/shape water heater is no longer manufactured. Dometic decided to change the shape of the heater a couple of years ago.

Suburban actually makes a replacement designed to fit the opening where the Atwood was (they saw a market that Dometic created) Now I don't care for Suburban water heaters because I do not feel the porcelain on steel holds up as well as aluminum does, but Advantage Direct Fit Water Heater for RVs & Campers - Suburban and the other option is a new Dometic water heater and a conversion kit that consist of filler plates and a new door to cover up all of it.

Amazon.com: Atwood | Dometic WH-6GEA Water Heater #94002BP : Automotive

Dometic Water Heater Door Assembly 6 Gal - Black- 6 Gallon Door Assembly (Fits Older Atwood/Dometic Units)

Dometic Water Heater Door Assembly 6 Gal - White- 6 Gallon Door

Charles

Before using it after weld repair, you should hydro pressure test it. What you need to do is fill the tank with water making sure ALL the air is out of it. Then pressurize it to around 75 psi. If while you are pressurizing it you develop a leak, the pressure will fall immediately so it will not blow up. DO NOT just use just air to pressure test.. That will be a bomb if it should explode.

Remember you have to use water not just air.

Last edited:
My family has inherited my Dad's motor home. A 2002 Jayco Designer. We are very new to this. The water heater went out. We need to replace. Looking for a used one. Suggestions on surplus dealers to find one? It's an Atwood GC6AA-9E. We pulled the old one, and the tank is gone, and some wires look like they got very hot. Thanks for the help!
Since this forum is not that active I suggest to call some places from this site Find the best salvage yards online | bestsalvageyards.com you can pick the ones with best reviews so you can miss the possibility of dealing with weird ones.

What do you mean by "Went out"
If you mean leaks like a sive.. yes it needs to be replaced
If you mean no water flows through it.. There are valves that shut it off for the winter
If you mean it won't light/heat (Gas or electric) The module that controls the thermostats the heat element (electric if it has one not all do) and the burner assemble/control valve are all way way easier to replace than the entire heater.

There is seldom any reason to replace the entire water heater and they aren't cheap. If you explain what it does or doesn't do, we can probably help you get it going.

Try Colaw RV | Used RV Parts & RV Salvage | North America's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom