water heater is leaking. fixable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skamper

my son and I are working on winterizing his camper,and the water heater was leaking in the cabinet when we tried to empty the water lines.
methinks it my have frozen earlier this year even tho he kept some heat in the camper with the cupboards left open.
are water heaters generally reapairable in these situations?
Thanks!!

IMHO it is time to replace thee water heater.  Trying to repair a leaking water heater will most likely end up with replacing it anyway. 

Years (1970's) ago when I had a truck camper I had a 6 gal. water heater rupture. I pulled the water heater unit and took it apart and took the aluminum tank to a welding shop who heli-arc'd the small tear. I then put it back together and it was as good as new.
That was when you lit the pilot by hand and they were very simple in design. Today, I would probably pull the unit and replace it with a new one.

Woody

Skamper,

Is it the tank that's leaking or just evidence of a leak. Forget about repairing a tank. There are fittings that can leak. I had a plastic one on the output of the tank that cracked for no known reason. Easy repair once I found the parts. I'd make sure it's the tank before replacing as they are expensive.

I will support the replace as opposed to repair

Here is why: The hardest part of a repair will be removing the tank from the rig,  The heater itsef is not all that expensive but labor will cost a  bunch if you have it done.

So why not do it right and replace it... Request old parts keep electronics, heat element and anything else you think might fit the new one should it fail.

The fittings are all visible and dry,and the leak seems to be on the bottom,so I guess we'll pull it and see what to do.It's an older rig,at least 15 years old,so more than likeley replacement time,but we'll see.
thanks all.!

Skamper,

If the leak is on the bottom you might as well replace it. You will probably find a lot of sealant around the opening. Use a plastic putty knife, available at your local Lowe's, to help loosen it. When installing the new unit I suggest using putty tape to seal around the opening. The edge of the plastic putty knife will cut through the part that oozes out and make a nice finished edge.

If need be, check PPL out of Houston for prices.  I recently bought one there and had it shipped to the Detroit area and it was 120.00 less than Camping World.  I had been advised forget welding because the tanks are glass lined.
Leo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom