Water Heater Switch Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coach_Frank

Hi Everyone,

When I turn on the water heater (electric 120), the switch has a light that comes on.  This light is very hot, at least hotter than I would like it to be. Is this normal or should I be concerned?  It has always been this way as far as I can tell.

The indicator light on a switch shouldn't get noticeably hot, so I think I would replace the switch.  Is it a typical residential wall switch with a light, or some more exotic thing?  It's part of the Winnebago wiring, not the water heater itself.

I believe you'll find that switch is 12 vdc and only operates a relay on the water heater that actually switches 120 vac to the element.  Both my 2006 Sightseer and 2010 Journey. The light only signals that the switch is on, it's built into the switch. The bulb burnt out in my Journey but the switch still controlled the element.
I never noticed the light getting hot. (I have no feeling in my hands due to spinal cord injury.)

Regarding switches with BOB's (Burned Out Bulbs)..

the switch has 3 wires  HOT, SWITCHED and GROUND.

I took a 12 volt LED assembly. this assembly is a plastic tube, about 1/4 inch (NOT exactly) it has a lens and metal ring on one end wires out the other you use a "Speed nut" (Metal spring thing) to lock it in place.

Drilled the proper size hold shoved it in then spring nutted it.  Took the black wire and using a jumper found a known ground.. Then using the red wire Found the "HOT" lead on teh switch (Always light light)
THen the SWITCHED (light only lights when switch on Connected Red wire there..

THe 3rd wire is the Ground so I hooked the black wire there

THat LED should, in theory, outlife me.. Cost me a dollar at an electroncis supply store I used to shop.

You can get 'em at most any electronics supply  Radio Shack if you can find one may have 'em.  AllElectronics.com has 'em.  many places have 'em. Some are different designs.

I believe you'll find that switch is 12 vdc and only operates a relay on the water heater that actually switches 120 vac to the element.
Yeah, that's a fairly common design and the reason I asked what type of switch he has. If it's a common residential style switch, it is probably directly switching the power. If not, it's probably 12v and driving a relay to do the switching.

The impression I'm getting is that the switch looks just like the standard house light toggle switch except the light is in the lever.
He said "It appears to be typical". 
I had the same thing with an old King of the Road 5'vr years ago. You can go to Home Depot and they have a switch assembly with a separate light. Good for 15 Amps. The only difference is the light is separate from the lever. At my sticks and brickes, I have one I use to let me know when I forget to shut off the outside light and I also use a couple for closet lights. With the closet doors closed, I can't tell when the light is on so the switch tells me. Less than $9.00:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-1-25W-125V-Combination-Switch-with-Neon-Pilot-Light-White-R52-05226-0WS/202035018

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom