Water heater - Why is the tank loose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopar1973Man

Hey Gang...

My water heater tank is loose. You can pick it up about 1/2 inch to a full 1 inch off the block it rest on. Is there some other frame work or something to aid in holding this down? I've got a Atwood water heater 6 gallon. I know there is someone here that knows these water heaters well.  ;)

Just reached in and lifted the tank up some. Since my RV doesn't always stay on the smooth highways it might go up a forestry road to a campground now and then so I double check things for being loose or bounce. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid about it.  ::)

Apparently paranoia serves you quite well.

I've never personally pulled one out but I'd check the exterior mounting plate. It might be possible that the tank itself is fixed to the plate by bolts or some such that has failed, I'm just spit balling here of course.

I would think that since the gas burner traverses the front plate that it should be securely mounted to that. Of course the obvious question would be "is the front plate still secured to the exterior wall?" If the screws pulled out of that then the whole shooting match could fall out on the road with a good bump.

Back
Top Bottom