Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barry J

We own a 2003 Four Winds Lite, and noticed black soot on the outside wall above the furnace . I cleaned it when I first seen it, but now it is back. We just bought the camper, so do not know what maintainence was done to it,,any suggestions
Thanks

I believe your air/gas mixture is the cause. Others here will chime in as to whether you can adjust it on a furnace. I know you can on a water heater. Many times it's just that bugs or mud wasps have gotten in there and have restricted the air flow.  Not sure about the furnace. Someone's going to ask you what the make and model number is of the furnace you have so you might as well get it and post it.

I am sorry, about my confusion...I meant to say water heater not the furnace....it is the water heater, which runs by gas

Remove the outer access door on the outside for the WATER Heater.  ;D . Carefully remove the burner tube. It's the 3/4" piece of pipe bent at a 90 degree angle. I think it's only got one nut holding it in. Check the inside of the pipe for any spider or wasps nests. Once cleaned, reinstall it and try the furnace again. You should have a nice blue flame with maybe just a touch of yellow. If there's a lot of yellow, loosen up the small screw which holds the air shutter and slide it one way or the other watching the flame. Once the flame is a nice blue, tighten the screw. That should be it.

Both the water heater and the furnace can burn gas (Some water heaters have an electric option. not all do) and both (As well as the fridge) have an air-damper adjustment. If you do not know how to adjust it I would suggest a pro. but it is very very easy to do. 

Back
Top Bottom