Water heaters, tankless vs. tanked in RVs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
southern GA from upstate NY sold propane, and yes, one of them was a KOA.
Tifton KOA? I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Of all the full hookup campgrounds I stayed in during this trip (more than usual), the only other one I can recall that sold propane was the KOA in Kingman, AZ. I think KOAs all have the same stuff, TV Cable, propane that most others do not have.

But I assume you find more propane places in the north, such as in NY.

-Don- Ft. Stockton, TX

Tifton KOA? I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Of all the full hookup campgrounds I stayed in during this trip (more than usual), the only other one I can recall that sold propane was the KOA in Kingman, AZ. I think KOAs all have the same stuff, TV Cable, propane that most others do not have.

But I assume you find more propane places in the north, such as in NY.

-Don- Ft. Stockton, TX
The KOA we stayed at was near Jonestown, PA. The other parks with propane were near Oneonta, NY, Mt Jackson, VA, and Max Meadows, VA. The only overnight stop that did not have propane was near Ridgeway, SC.

It did cause me to check my fittings....which are all plastic. Tanked can also leak from other places. Are you saying hot water tank leaks aren't common? :) I think there are more than a few threads here, having used the search function, which says tanked water heater leaks are actually quite common. Hmm.
Hmm, Using that logic you are in trouble. There are lots of post about roofs leaking. Water tanks leaking.
Bill

You are right Larry. The outher thing is to be pro active. Ask at the desk when you check in. I have been in parks where they have a local propane dealer who made regular delivery's and would make a special/non scheduled trip out for a extra fee.
I have also seen the tank tucked away behind some outher buildings or down a maintence road/storage area. But most times they are out where you can get to them easy.
There are many non KOA parks with propane. I didn't know I needed to keep track. I was in 51 different parks last year.
Bill

I assume it's much more common in the north, where it is usually colder.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM
Not that I'm aware of, since fridge, stove, etc. are just as common everywhere, but be aware that the propane fill area isn't always obvious from driving to the sites, either. You may have to ask.

I stayed in several full hookup RV Parks in Florida. Not even one of them sold propane.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM
As I recall, you were in the Lake Okeechobee area at one point. The Big O RV park there has propane. I don't know which way your travels took you, but if you headed west from the Everglades, the Naples RV Resort has propane, and heading north from there, Live Oak RV Resort and Riverside RV Resort both have propane. As you get closer to the Orlando/Ocala area, there's too many parks with propane to mention, but the screen capture below should give you an idea. That's with a filter on to only show parks with propane.

Screenshot_20220128-220238_RV Parky.jpg

you were in the Lake Okeechobee area at one point.
Yes, and that was the last place for me to get propane. The full hookup RV Park I stayed at (Lake Okeechobee RV Park) did not have it, but there it was close by. There was even a KOA in Okeechobee.

Did I say I couldn't find it in that area? I hope not, but the ONLY RV parks I stayed in that sold propane were the KOAs and I did NOT stay in any KOAs when I was in Florida. And I stayed in many RV Parks and not even one of them sold propane.

If your map is showing all propane, it is as useless as my RV GPS when it comes to filling up an attached tank. They are not separated and there are countless places to get portable tanks traded, IOW, the type I don't have.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Last edited:
I have been in parks where they have a local propane dealer who made regular delivery's and would make a special/non scheduled trip out for a extra fee.
I have done that successfully once, in AZ. Where I have never had an issue finding propane.

But I have also tried to do the same in the past where it was not available during the time I was staying. It had to be by appointment and only for the days after I was going to leave.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Yes, and that was the last place for me to get propane. The full hookup RV Park I stayed at (Lake Okeechobee RV Park) did not have it, but there it was close by. There was even a KOA in Okeechobee.

Did I say I couldn't find it in that area? I hope not, but the ONLY RV parks I stayed in that sold propane were the KOAs and I did NOT stay in any KOAs when I was in Florida. And I stayed in many RV Parks and not even one of them sold propane.

If your map is showing all propane, it is as useless as my RV GPS when it comes to filling up an attached tank. They are not separated and there are countless places to get portable tanks traded, IOW, the type I don't have.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM
The map is from the RVParky app and I set the filters to only show RV parks that have propane available. Off hand, I don't recall ever seeing an RV park that offered propane that could not fill an attached ASME tank as well as the smaller DOT cylinders. There may be some, but I have not seen them...

I have another propane story for today. In fact, a couple of them. And it's why I am so late getting here to OPCNM.

First story is simple. I was at the KOA in Lordsburg, NM and as we know KOAs always have propane. I made sure I left during the time the office should be open according to their sign on the office window. I leave there at 1030 hrs and their office should have been open for 1.5 hours. But the office door is locked when I get there with a sign that says they will be back at 2 PM, So of course, I leave and hit the road.

The next story is when I get to the southern part of Tucson. I see an Arco gas station with a large propane tank. I park this RV by the tank and go in. I am told they will be right with me. The place was very busy. Around 40 minutes later, some gal comes out to fill my propane tank. She cannot get their machine started and I can tell she had no idea what she was doing. She never did figure it out. I noticed myself that she was using no adapter, and I looked inside their propane hose and I see there is no thingy in there to push in the valve thingy in my tank. I am not sure if that is how it really works, as this is the first time I took a close look at this stuff. An hour later, I still do not have a drop of propane added to my tank that is at around 25%. She tells me my RV tank has a problem as she just filled up another motorhome with no problem at all. Anyway, I am not sure about anything, but she tells me there is a U-Haul place right across the street that also sells propane. It took me another hour just to get there!! The traffic on that side of the street was ridiculous. I made the mistake of trying too hard to get there as I know there is propane sold farther south where things are not so busy.

So then I finally have my RV parked at the U-Haul place and again I am told I will have to wait a while because they are extremely busy with other customers. Another half hour later a guy comes to fill my propane tank. Fills it right up to the 80% mark without the slightest problem. So, then I get back in that traffic, more hassles. Anyway, after wasting a couple of hours in south Tucson, I was on my way here. At least there is no big hurry to get here, I could get in at midnight and all would be fine.

I looked inside their hose thingy at the U-Haul and I did see a thingy that looks like it will press in on the valve in my tank. So from what I can tell, something was missing at that Arco station I first went to.

But aren't those who pump propane licensed? Do they have to pass a test or anything? The guy at the U-Haul seemed to know what he was doing, but that gal at the Arco station didn't have a clue from what I could tell.

-Don- Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Mon., AZ

Off hand, I don't recall ever seeing an RV park that offered propane that could not fill an attached ASME tank as well as the smaller DOT cylinders.
Same here, but I was not talking about RV Parks there. Even places such as Home Depo you can trade those portable tanks in for a filled one.

-Don- OPCNM, AZ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom