Water Hoses - which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To protect from debris finding it's way in, I always connect the ends together once looped for storage. This should keep the ends from bumping about too.
Yep... I use brass quick-disconnects on all my hoses and accessories to make it easier to hook up with my arthritic hands. I prefer the QD's with O-rings instead of the cheap ones that use a modified hose washer for the seal. The only thing I screw together is the pressure regulator that goes on the park water tap, and that has a QD on the other end.

Yep... I use brass quick-disconnects on all my hoses and accessories to make it easier to hook up with my arthritic hands. I prefer the QD's with O-rings instead of the cheap ones that use a modified hose washer for the seal. The only thing I screw together is the pressure regulator that goes on the park water tap, and that has a QD on the other end.

Sold! (y)

Owners/fans of the Zero-G hose: I'd like to try the Zero-G hose but am a bit concerned where I've read it's not recommended to be under constant pressure. Does this mean I have to continuously shut off my water source at the campground spigot rather than leave it in the on position during the months of my stay?

Anyone have experience with using it this way.? I do use a water regulator with a gauge to keep an eye on things at the spigot and normally maintain a 40-45# pressure reading

Use mine all the time, only shut off the water supply if we are away; for safety reasons - don't care to chance some weird water leak inside when we are not present to deal with it. Has never happened but.

Hey, thanks Phil! One day I hope to get a super high quality, longer lasting hose w/steel coupling but need something decent in the interim that isn't Camco. I appreciate your mention of shutting off the main water source while away from rv. I know this already but always forget to do it. I think I'll set an alarm on my phone to help remember until it becomes a habit!

Did you notice a strong smell/taste coming from the Zero-G? I've read about it in a number of reviews, but also figure I could use a bleach solution followed by a good rinse to remedy that if it is an issue. I am pretty sensitive to chemical tastes/odors so hoping it isn't a problem with the new hose.

Also, has anyone ever noticed a difference/benefit using the 1/2" or 5/8" hoses for your rv water supply?

I threw away two Zero-G black hoses that started leaking at the fittings after less than a year's use. Since then, I've only used Flexzilla hoses and had no more problems. They're a bit fatter than Zero-G's, but they coil up just as tight and remain very flexible at well below freezing temps.

Oh dear, so many differing experiences with the different hoses; leaking Zero-G, black mold growing on Flexilla exteriors. This is what makes me so unsure when trying to make a decision before spending my hard-earned money. Plus, I loathe adding to the land-fill problems due to sub-par products.

I've been learning about the corrosion issues combining brass with aluminum fittings. I'm wondering if teflon tape, in those instances, will help reduce that problem?

Stainless steel seems to be the best (?) remedy for hose fittings but, as I've discovered, that is currently in short supply for a number of higher-end hose companies.

After 1.5 years the Camco I started w/is leaking at the hose end under the fitting (where it attaches to the hose itself, not the connector end). Now I'm contemplating just trying a hose repair kit while I continue pondering a new hose purchase :unsure:

Oh dear, so many differing experiences with the different hoses; leaking Zero-G, black mold growing on Flexilla exteriors. This is what makes me so unsure when trying to make a decision before spending my hard-earned money. Plus, I loathe adding to the land-fill problems due to sub-par products.

I've been learning about the corrosion issues combining brass with aluminum fittings. I'm wondering if teflon tape, in those instances, will help reduce that problem?

Stainless steel seems to be the best (?) remedy for hose fittings but, as I've discovered, that is currently in short supply for a number of higher-end hose companies.

After 1.5 years the Camco I started w/is leaking at the hose end under the fitting (where it attaches to the hose itself, not the connector end). Now I'm contemplating just trying a hose repair kit while I continue pondering a new hose purchase :unsure:
Take care of whatever hose you decide to purchase, it will be fine. Stay away from aluminum ends = trouble. Some are more flexible and easier to handle, they all will function. Not a huge expenditure.
Hose ends don't "seal" on the threads, teflon tape won't help.

Another factor is whether or not you have a reliable water pressure regulator and where it is located. If the regulator is in the water bay, the hose from the bay to the camp fitting is not protected and will be exposed to whatever the pressure is at the camp. I have a portable watts regulator that I connect at the camp fitting which protects my $3.99 hose.
Good point. Never thought of protecting the hose.

I bought a Fiberjacket from Walmart for a washing machine hose in the coach and it definitely kinks. You have to make sure it is completely straight or has a nice rounded shape all the time. Kink resistant is not kink proof.

I have 2 Flexzillas for home use.. They do get the black stuff on the outside, and I'm not a fan of the alumn fittings... But the hose material is fantastic... I just wish he would use heavy brass fittings... I have one hose stuck to a fitting now.
Butch

I have 2 Flexzillas for home use.. They do get the black stuff on the outside, and I'm not a fan of the alumn fittings... But the hose material is fantastic... I just wish he would use heavy brass fittings... I have one hose stuck to a fitting now.
Butch
I added solid brass quick disconnects to a my Flexzilla hoses. Easy on/off for my arthritic fingers, and no sticking...

We all do it different, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm 66 (plus) years old now and been drinking from the green garden hose laying on the ground all my life. I have about 200 feet of hose dedicated for the camper that I have run bleach water through several times over the last 25 years of RV ownership (personally). I also carry about 100 feet of white RV hose, that I very seldom use, except when a neighbor camper needs some extra hose length, or extra length to fill their fresh water tank.

I've heard the white RV hose controversy for the past 25 years but my green ones haven't hurt me, the wife, the kids, the grandkids, or any of the pets, ever.

I also never leave my hoses hook-up and never leave them under pressure. I fill my fresh water tank and then unhook the hoses. Before filling, I always run water through the hose for about 15 seconds, then fill. Water never tastes like the hose. However, if water stands in the hose, there is often a taste, especially if the hose remains in the sun.

Whatever you use, keep the hose out of the sun, don't keep them under pressure, sanatize them every now and then, and flush them before filling your fresh water tank. You'll never have problems or unwelcome taste from any hose.

Some of the new non-potable plastic hoses seem to impart an odd taste to the water, so I avoid those. I do have other hoses that have been in service for years though, that I think nothing of drinking out of. My biggest reason for using Flexzilla hoses is the cold weather flexibility that makes coiling one up just as easy as coiling it in warm weather. That they're rated for potable water is a bonus...

Reactions: SMR
I added solid brass quick disconnects to a my Flexzilla hoses. Easy on/off for my arthritic fingers, and no sticking...
I seem to remember I got that quick connect tip from you here awhile ago. Bought a 5 pack of those and yes, they work great. Used to be a bit of a pain to connect to city water sometimes without any leaks. Now-- just POP. Connect the hose in two seconds. A real plus for those times when it's raining out for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom