Water in my RV Hot Water Heater when I store it for 4-5 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my second travel trailer with a regular water heater on my unit. Its a new unit.

Its unclear to me what I should do with the water in the water heater when I store my travel trailer until the next time out. It has a Suburban 6 gallon water  capacity and I assume (there I go again), the water just sits there dormant.

First, is it OK for the water just to sit there dormant for 4-5 weeks w/o affecting the health of my family, yes or no?

Secondly, if it DOES or might affect the health of my family, then how do I release or eliminate the water from the heater? There seems to be an anode near the bottom so I guess I just unscrew that and all the water runs out?

Lastly, when it does come time for winter, I know I need to remove the water....what is the best, most effective way?

Since you can see I'm not very bright, any concise commentary would be most welcome.

Respectfully,

Patrick Turner

you need to drain it for the winter - yes during the summer i leave mine full - i dont drain it between uses in the summer

steveblonde said:
you need to drain it for the winter - yes during the summer i leave mine full - i dont drain it between uses in the summer
      Same here....When you get hooked up at the campground, just run your hot water faucet for a while appx. 6 gals. and you will be good to go.... To facilitate draining the water heater for winter storage...I assume you know where to shut the supply valve off....then remove the drain plug at the base and then lift the handle on the pressure  relief valve at the top of the heater...this allows air in and the water will empty in just a couple of minutes....leave the plug out until next season start up..this ensures your water heater will always be empty just in case the shut off valve may leak by...in theory...even if it did leak, the water will have been treated with anti freeze so it should all be well...but I like to eliminate the possibility....just me....

You CAN leave the water in there... but it stays warm for quite awhile, and is a breeding ground for bacteria.  If your RV water ever gets that sulfur / rotten egg smell, it's because bacteria has grown in your fresh water system (likely from warm water left in the hot water tank) and the system needs to be sanitized.

An easy way to avoid the above is to drain your hot water tank after each camping trip.  When you first run hot water again (after hooking up), the hot water tank will automatically refill itself.  You do not need to leave the faucet turned on.

Here's a quick video on hot water draining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujYDk8iFjI

You have a hot water heater?  Why would you need to heat hot water?    :p

Yes, you should drain the water heater when you get home after each trip or you will wind up with the rotten egg sulfur smell.  Pull the plug out of the bottom and all the water comes out.  Open a hot water faucet first to release pressure or the plug may go flying across the yard and give you a shower in the process.

in 30 yrs of owning trailers i have never drained the tank nor have i ever has a sulphur smell, we drain ours in the fall (late October) and use the trailer for Easter long weekend and i drain it after that because we can still get cold weather and i will drain it each time after we use it until the May long weekend after that i wont drain it until the last trip in Oct, so maybe the sulphur smell is a regional thing - but for the amount of time it takes to take out the drain plug - 60 secs it wouldn't hurt anything - just remember to put it back in next time you use the trailer and make sure you have extras on hand because they are cheap crappy plastic and i have had 2 split on me on the mold seams

steveblonde said:
in 30 yrs of owning trailers i have never drained the tank nor have i ever has a sulphur smell, we drain ours in the fall (late October) and use the trailer for Easter long weekend and i drain it after that because we can still get cold weather and i will drain it each time after we use it until the May long weekend after that i wont drain it until the last trip in Oct, so maybe the sulphur smell is a regional thing - but for the amount of time it takes to take out the drain plug - 60 secs it wouldn't hurt anything - just remember to put it back in next time you use the trailer and make sure you have extras on hand because they are cheap crappy plastic and i have had 2 split on me on the mold seams

X2.  I drain mine the end October only because we can get some pretty cold temperatures before we leave for FL the end of November. It stays full for about 10 months a year. We may not use it for up to a month and a half during the summer and never had any issues.
Just to add to what Steve said about the plug, do not use a steel or brass.  Dissimilar metal will give you problems. Only use plastic or nylon.

When leaving a camping spot, one of the things I do is turn off the water heater and then use the residual hot water to clean the shower, bathroom and kitchen.  By the time I am done the water is running cool so hot water isn't left in the tank.  We have never had a sulfur smell. We only drain the tank when we winterize.

We've only drained our water heater when winterizing.  I always replace the anode rod and sanitize the system before we go out the next time.  However, this winter the coldest it got was 29 degrees and I had no need to winterize.  I'll probably sanitize sometime in the summer.

Drain and flush once/year and while winterizing is the time to do it. If you have an anode rod, replace it at that time. Easy to do...even I can do it.  ;D ;D ;D

We don't usually empty our water tank (don't live in a freeze area) but we do sanitize it with Clorox the unscented old-fashioned kind not the one with all the additives.  As long as you follow regular sanitization procedures you shouldn't have any problems with your tank water.  Use the Library button above left to see articles on water systems, along with other RV subjects of interest to RVers.

ArdraF

Have had about 6 RV's over the past 35 years and never once drained the water heater.

We seldom get down to freezing temps and then it's only for about 10 hours so that's not a problem.

I'm still alive and kicking and our water smells fine.

steveblonde said:

That's because all of your water in Canada is commonly referred to as "ice".....and bacteria won't grow in subzero temps.  :p

Frizlefrak said:
That's because all of your water in Canada is commonly referred to as "ice".....and bacteria won't grow in subzero temps.  :p
I like that "ice" in my Jack Daniels Tennesse Honey mmmmmmmm ;Dd

Roodie said:
When leaving a camping spot, one of the things I do is turn off the water heater and then use the residual hot water to clean the shower, bathroom and kitchen.  By the time I am done the water is running cool so hot water isn't left in the tank.  We have never had a sulfur smell. We only drain the tank when we winterize.

This is a good technique... the warm water left behind is what makes a happy home for bacteria I believe.

Still, it seems like draining the tank regularly would also help to flush everything out and prevent sediment for forming/settling.  I don't have any evidence to support that theory though.  ;)

Note: You have a Suburban and the only way to drain it is to remove the anode rod. Some replace the anode rod every year, but that is not really necessary depended on water.  If the rod has not totally disintegrated you can still use it.  Mine will last several years and I usually fill my RV with well water from home.  On mine I have a drain line hanging under it along with lines to drain fresh water tank and both hot and cold water lines.  I do leave water in the heater all summer and have no problems.  Sanitize the system every spring.

Boondocker perspective.

I always drain my fresh water tank and hot water tank after every use.  I do it to lighten return trip load/weight and to ensure water doesn't get stagnant.
IMHO, there are a lot of variables, two of which are water quality in and how long will it sit.

I bought a used rig many years ago that the hot water was terrible; my guess was it sat in the tank for weeks or months?  Good flush and never had an issue.

If I am close to home and know I will use it in a week, I have left water in both tanks.  But OP was 4-5 weeks sitting; I'd drain it.

For you people that drain your water heaters...

When you go on a long trip of a month or more do you drain your sticks and bricks water heater? 

Arch Hoagland said:
For you people that drain your water heaters...

When you go on a long trip of a month or more do you drain your sticks and bricks water heater?

Obviously no.  But it also stays heated so its not sitting stagnant.  Its a steel tank, not aluminum.  And in my case it still gets lots of movement as hot water also heats my house.

Derby6 said:
Obviously no.  But it also stays heated so its not sitting stagnant.  Its a steel tank, not aluminum.  And in my case it still gets lots of movement as hot water also heats my house.

Seems like a big waste heating all that water for a month or more and no one using it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom