water leak in door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

Water is leaking from the bottom of my door frame onto the floor of the RV. It's soaking into the RV where the floor meets the wall. I can't for the life of me figure out where the water is getting in from the outside. (In the picture, the water is leaking where the towels are located). Is this common? How can the leaking be stopped?

Attachments

• IMG_4027.JPG
    IMG_4027.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4026.JPG
    IMG_4026.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 25
Is the wall wet at all? Is it possible that the leak is from a joint on the roof, running down inside the wall and onto the floor

Water is leaking from the bottom of my door frame onto the floor of the RV. It's soaking into the RV where the floor meets the wall. I can't for the life of me figure out where the water is getting in from the outside. (In the picture, the water is leaking where the towels are located). Is this common? How can the leaking be stopped?
I'm having the exact same issue in the same place. Did you locate the water entry point?

I'm having the exact same issue in the same place. Did you locate the water entry point?
I ended up putting a little metal piece above the door and it seems slightly less leaky. But during heavy rains, it still leaks.

Is the wall wet at all? Is it possible that the leak is from a joint on the roof, running down inside the wall and onto the floor
I resealed all the joints. And the wall doesn't feel wet from the inside. Could it still be running down the wall even if it doesn't feel wet on the inside?

We had similar issues at both doors that I finally traced to leaks around the butal tape used to seal the door flanges against the side of the trailer. Once I repaired the damage to the floor, I cleaned and caulked the gap between the flanges and the walls, and that seems to have done the trick.

The best way to seal an RV door is to remove the door & frame from the RV, then clean the surfaces and reinstall it using all new butyl tape caulking.

The best way to seal an RV door is to remove the door & frame from the RV, then clean the surfaces and reinstall it using all new butyl tape caulking.
I have sealed the entire door with silicone. It doesn't seem to be coming in from around the door. It seems to somehow be leaking into the door frame and then dripping down. But I can't figure out how it's leaking into the door frame.

It doesn't seem to be coming in from around the door. It seems to somehow be leaking into the door frame and then dripping down. But I can't figure out how it's leaking into the door frame.
Typically that means the water is entering the sidewall from above, e.g. at the front cap seam, or where the roof joins the sidewall above the door, or perhaps a screw hole in an awning rail. The water runs down until it finds an opening to ooze out, i.e. around the door frame.

If you have a Class C, look at the running lights outside on the front of the overhead cab. They may need caulked.

You won't notice any water damage in the overhead cab walls, so don't use that as a reference guide.

We see this on alot of Winnebago Class C's in our travels.

And some other makes. Even year old ones. They don't have to be very old.

Back
Top Bottom