Water Pressure Regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimChan52

2004 Monaco Dyansty - Water pressure regulator, the type you just screw on the water hose, appears to be buildt in where the hose connects to the coach.  In some parks water pressure is just too low.  Does anyone know if this can be be removed and replaced with just a regular hose fitting.  I want to buy an ajustable regulator and use it as needed to control the pressure.

I replaced the built in regulator with standard plumbing parts from Ace Hardware. Don't remember the lenth and size of pipe and fitting but it was standard hardware. I then also purchased a Cash Acme mobile home regulator that gives more flow.

Pressure isn't really the issue - it is flow rate that is the concern. Most built-in regulators, as well as the "on-th-hose" types have a low flow rate, usually no more than 2 gpm.  Get rid of the factory regulkator and buy one designed with a higher flow rate. "Whole house" regulators usually can supply a good rate, but there area few screw-on regulators on the market that are also OK.  Unfortunately I've forgotten the brand names. Suffice it to say you should not buy a regulator unless you can determine its flow rate and assure it is 3 gpm or more.  A 3/8" I.D. through the regulator will assure the flow rate is as good as the plumbing in your RV.

If it is only the shower "pressure" that bothers you, consider removing or enlarging the flow restrictor that is built into the shower head. With adequare flow, pressure as low as 30 psi is probably satisfactory.

RV Roamer said:
If it is only the shower "pressure" that bothers you, consider removing or enlarging the flow restrictor that is built into the shower head. With adequare flow, pressure as low as 30 psi is probably satisfactory.

Gary

Another alternative is to turn on the water pump when you take a shower, much higher water flow.

RV Roamer said:
Pressure isn't really the issue - it is flow rate that is the concern. Most built-in regulators, as well as the "on-th-hose" types have a low flow rate, usually no more than 2 gpm.  Get rid of the factory regulkator and buy one designed with a higher flow rate. "Whole house" regulators usually can supply a good rate, but there area few screw-on regulators on the market that are also OK.  Unfortunately I've forgotten the brand names. Suffice it to say you should not buy a regulator unless you can determine its flow rate and assure it is 3 gpm or more.  A 3/8" I.D. through the regulator will assure the flow rate is as good as the plumbing in your RV.

Gary:

CAsh Acme is the brand, they make regulators from 1/2" to 2"/

Watts also makes whole house regulators.  I got ours at Home Depot along with the necessary fittings to adapt it to a standard hose bib.

Another alternative is to turn on the water pump when you take a shower, much higher water flow.

Good point, Bernie. We do that sometimes. I think that works because the internal pump essentially bypasses the built-in regulator and thus delivers a better rate of flow.  I say that because it seems to improve flow even when the internal pump pressure (typically 40-45 psi) isn't an greater than the external supply pressure.  Is your experience similar?

CAsh Acme is the brand, they make regulators from 1/2" to 2"/

I was referring to regulator brand/models with standard 3/4 inch hose thread rather than whole house regulators, but Cash Acme probably has one of those too. I know Watts does, but am not sure of the flow rate on theirs.  Marshall Brass makes the commonly available Rv hose regulator but those have a very low flow rate and should be avoided.

Camping World is now selling what is termed a "High Flow" regulator from Valterra, but I can't find a flow rate spec for it. Just claims 20% more flow than "standard".
http://reserveamerica.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=26539

Our Watts is a residential regulator and has excellent flow rate, much better than the RV style regulators.  They also make, I believe, an RV regulator but I don't know what the flow rate is for that model.  The typically small (1/2") piping in most RVs restricts the flow rates more than a good regulator will.

RV Roamer said:
Good point, Bernie. We do that sometimes. I think that works because the internal pump essentially bypasses the built-in regulator and thus delivers a better rate of flow.  I say that because it seems to improve flow even when the internal pump pressure (typically 40-45 psi) isn't an greater than the external supply pressure.  Is your experience similar?

Yep

RV Roamer said:
Camping World is now selling what is termed a "High Flow" regulator from Valterra, but I can't find a flow rate spec for it. Just claims 20% more flow than "standard".
http://reserveamerica.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=26539

Gary

I got one of those. I can report that it is a definite improvement over the older Marshal Brass units. Of course the addition of charcoal house filters will slow flow rates a little, if you use them.

Nelson

I have mounted a Cash Acme regulator in the water bay but have our house filters outside which gives us good flow before the regulator. So far (year) I have not damaged the filter canisters with the higher pressure.

I am wondering where you can find one of these house size regulators

I have camping world's hi-flow, plus some marshall brass, none of them really pass enough water to keep me happy but that could be due to the filter I have in line,, before the regulator of course

In areas that have high water pressure, many hardware stores as well as Home Depot 7 Lowes will stock whole house regulators by Cash-Acme and/or Watts.  In areas where the water supply in well regulated or generally low, they are more likley to be a special order item.  Ace Hardware stores used to carry Cash-Acme products and could order any model from their distributor. I think Tru-Value might also be a Cash-Acme dealer.

I checked an OLD plumbing supply here (One that has been in business for over 40 yerars) and the clerk never heard of them... However he walked over to a rack of stuff that does not sell well here in S.E. Michigan and given that lead I layed eyes on, and directed him to the exact part.  They had at least 3, 2 which output between 25 and 70 psi and the other was 12-25 psi.

I got the higher range device

Figured they would be hard to find here.... Got the "We have had it on the shelf forever" discount too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom