Water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


May 25, 2024
Greetings from Canada
We just picked up an older 1993 King of the Road F36MAX. How do I find out if it has a built in water pressure reducer? We have it stationary for guests and grandkids and will be hooking it up to city water. Thanks in advance.
Typically rv’s don’t come with one from the factory. The owner has to purchase one. How much water pressure do you have at your house? You may not need one if the pressure is lets say less than 50/60 PSI.
Last edited:
Hi Rene. House pressure is 115
OUCH that is way too much.

Assume it does not have a reducer.. MY recommendations.
#1 (what I have used) Watts or Zurin these have a bell shaped upper housing with a bolt (the pressure adjustment) where the bolt in a real bell that holds it to the yoke would be (or the handle of like a "ring for your servent" bell is)

I used 3/4" (Iron Pipe Thread) with hose adapters (Cheaper than half inch it seems)

I've also used a Sur-Flo These are identical to the most common "installed" save they take the benzel off and screw an adapter (male hose) on the outlet I give it a "9" on a scale of 10

I am told. but have never tested The Valterra adjustable is good.

Those 3/4" In cylinders where the male part is carved out of the housing and sometimes the female part as well ... JUNK.
It's a wonder you do not have problems with your sticks and bricks house. 115lbs is way over the rating of most household water fixtures. Put an adjustable water pressure regulator on your house main. Ours is set at 60psi.
Building codes today require both a regulator and a back flow preventer on the incoming line. Most codes require 60 psi max. Exceptions are usually a front yard faucet that is unregulated. If on a well you have regulation via the pressure switch cycling the pump on and off.

The marina we stayed at in Duluth MN had a sign on the office door, (and he made a point to tell you) the water pressure was 110 psi and you either needed a regulator, or to fill your tank and use your pump (which is what I always do).

I remember talking to an RVer and mentioning that the park info sheet suggested using a regulator as the park had recorded, as I recall 120 PSI line pressure from teh city... Turns out the guy I was talking to had stayed in the same RV park.

Welcome to RV Forums!
"Looks like "A Traveler" hit the right answer to your question. Do that and you should be fine. And make sure to open the inside sinks and showers when and if you drain the water system.

We are from the Sunshine State, on Florida's west coast.

We are H.L. and Jan, the campervan is Greta.

Remember, all Outdoor adventures begin and end with a road trip, drive safely with your family cargo!
Do NOT get one of these things. It is not a true regulator. It will not do anything to reduce static pressure, the presssure in the line when no water is flowing.

View attachment 173224

The regulator shown, and yes it really is a regulator, is a Valterra Hi_Flow lead free brass regulator. I have tested this model using pressure gauges before and after the regulator. The input pressure was 96 PSI at the time of testing, and the output pressure was 52 PSI both with a dynamic flow and 54 PSI with no flow. The stated maximum output pressure is 50-55 PSI. Other than some minor needle bounce on both gauges when the flow was cut off, the pressure remained stable throughout the testing. I also tested Camco's stainless steel hi-flow regulator with similar results.

That said, I have tested some other similar style regulators that proved to be little more than flow reducers that allowed the pressure to rise to near the input pressure with no active flow. The plastic models were the worst as I recall.
Thanks eveybody for your advice. Got the water pressure regualtor as recommended and water is flowing nicely. Checked with our municipality and our pressure to the house is 90. Regulator brings it down to 40-50. Thanks from the base of the Skimmerhorn, in the Creston Valley in British Columbia, Canada between the Purcell and Selkirk mountain ranges.
Top Bottom