Water pump - any harm if tank is dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I am working on getting the weight of the trailer down by reviewing all we haul before we start our trek to AZ next month.

One place I know I can reduce is the fresh water we carry. Before we moved yesterday, we used fresh tank water for a couple of days but still show 2 lights on the panel.

I want to empty it as much as I can so I can only add back a few gallons for rest stops along the way & then fill for dry camping in January.

Will it harm the pump if it runs dry for a bit while we use up the water?

thanks

"Dry" is OK, but at least for the Shurflo I have it's shown as an "intermittent duty" motor with no details of duty cycle. They're thermally protected so I wouldn't worry too much about damaging it, I've actually run a near full tank out with mine but I wouldn't leave it run continuously for hours.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Don't you have a freshwater tank drain?

This. You don't need to run your pump to empty the system. Just open the drain and let it all out.

You can also dump your water heater (that's another 5-10 gallons, or 42-83 lbs). Just don't forget to refill it and reset the bypass before turning it back on.

There is nothing wrong about opening the drain valve and driving down the road either as long as it's fresh water..>>>Dan
A state trooper stopped me because I was leaving a wet trail behind my 5er once. I explained it was fresh water tank draining. He said there was no way to determine that without testing and told me to turn it off until I reached home. Otherwise he would call in the local hazmat team to test the liquid, on my dime. He mentioned something about $3K/hr.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom