Water Pump Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd&Donna

So.... We're having a leak from our water pump. The water us leaking right from one of the screws on the front of the pump.
The troubleshooting guide in the manual says
1) Tighten all the screws .... I did that, didn't help
2) Pump head is cracked .... which I assume means "replace the pump"

Two things....
First, we're connected to city water, no water in our tank, so how is water getting into the pump to leak out?
Second, the pump is a Shur-Flo 200-220-39. I know this is no longer made, so what is the proper replacement for this pump?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Todd & Donna

I am fine with the idea of replacing it!
Just trying to figure out
- what the proper replacement pump is,
and
- why/how water is getting to the pump when we're on "city water"... This confuses me (but, I am a massive newby!)

As far as proper replacement pump goes, look at the specs on your current pump and get one at or close to those specs which will make things a lot easier for you to replace. As far as a reliable brand, you can' go wrong with Shurflo pumps.

When you pressurize your freshwater system with city water pressure that causes a back pressure on a check valve located inside the water pump head. So there is water pressure in the pump head from the city water pressure. Sometimes the check valve in the pump head will leak water back to and start back filling your fresh water tank. I would stick with the Surflo water pump and a model that gives the same or better GPH volume and pressure.

You may not need to replace the pump. There should be a check valve to prevent city water from entering the pump. That check valve appears to be leaking. There may something stuck in that valve. Try taking the pump head apart, and see if you can clear the blockage.

Even though that pump is no longer available, some, if not all, parts are still available. These pumps are not difficult to repair. The part numbers for both the check valve and the head can be found in the manual. For a source of parts, see pump parts

Joel

I have seen bad pump check valves leak water back into the fresh water tank from city water pressure. I have never seen a pump check valve leak water out of the pump head onto the RV floor. Have you seen that happen Joe?

Remove the pump and inspect for any failures. There should be a plastic housing that is removable. The housing should have a gasket. It could be that the housing is cracked or maybe the screws loosened up and the gasket was disrupted or deformed.

OK.... Makes sense
But, I hear that this pump has been long discontinued and its pretty hard to get parts,
which is what's making me think I'll just need to replace it
Am I wrong in my thinking?

Am I wrong in my thinking?
No. These days those pumps are considered disposable items. Most don't have parts or rebuild kits available anymore. Just get a replacement and be done with it. You don't need the same brand of pump - just one of the same approximate physical size and flow rate (gallons-per-minute). A pump in the 3-5 gpm range with a max pressure of 55-65 psi is probably close to the original. 45 psi is the standard factory setting for pressure, even though it may be capable of more.

Here are a couple possibles:

Last edited:
I've a photo that shows the leak....

Gary.... What you are saying makes real sense to me.
BTW, I did try shutting off city water & the leak stopped. Makes me think that the internal check valve us broken,
Thanks for the links to possible replacements.
No. These days those pumps are considered disposable items. Most don't have parts or rebuild kits available anymore. Just get a replacement and be done with it. You don't need the same brand of pump - just one of the same approximate physical size and flow rate (gallons-per-minute). A pump in the 3-5 gpm range with a max pressure of 55-65 psi is probably close to the original. 45 psi is the standard factory setting for pressure, even though it may be capable of more.

Here are a couple possibles:

Thanks to all who offered info. & guidance!!!

Attachments

• 20210516_125633.jpg
    20210516_125633.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These are diaphragm pumps, so there is no actual check valve inside. The diaphragm mechanism is inherently a one-way design, so water can move through it in only one direction. Unless of course there is internal damage of some sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom