Water pump keeps turning on for a second

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rajid

When I turn on my trailer water pump, it pumps up the pressure just fine, then turns off, but after a few minutes it turns back on for a second or so, then turns off again. Is this normal or does it indicate a very, very, slow leak somewhere?

Ok, I was thinking that could be the case. I'm not sure how to narrow down the location of the leak, but I'll have to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the sanity check.

If you don't find a traceable leak, the pump cycling could also be caused by a bit of debris in the pump's built-in check valve allowing the pressure to slowly bleed off. Opening a faucet full blast and quickly closing it a few times may dislodge the debris. Also, if your RV has a valve that switches the city water flow between filling the tank and normal use, make sure it's fully in the normal use position so it's not allowing any water to bypass the pump dropping the pressure.

Honestly, I don't think we've had one that didn't do that at least once in a while. We just turn the pump off at night.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was wondering about other people's experiences. I don't want to ignore it, thinking it's normal, and then find it's been leaking inside a cabinet and rotting out the floor for a few years! Of course, I really don't use the pump that often anyway, so that's not that likely. :)

Last edited:
My pump did that and it was my water tank that had failed and was slow leaking. Take a look at the mess it made.

My pump did that and it was my water tank that had failed and was slow leaking. Take a look at the mess it made.

Just to clarify for all you rookies out there, it was his HOT water heater tank that was leaking.

If it is early in the season, many lines can hold air, especially the low port lines. Easy to have pump on, purge them and all the others, including water heater tank.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I was wondering about other people's experiences. I don't want to ignore it, thinking it's normal, and then find it's been leaking inside a cabinet and rotting out the floor for a few years! Of course, I really don't use the pump that often anyway, so that's not that likely. :)
Hi, ... and if you are using "city" water via the hose connection, that slow leak may still be present but, now, with no pump in the equation, you may still have a "silent" leak. Get a pressure test done by a professional. Water damage can be very very costly! Just a thought. ... I am more comfortable using the pump because if there is a leak I can "hear" it. (pump turning on and off) If, after a few years I may need a new pump, that is still far less expensive than potential water damage! Good luck.

Mine was dripping from the check valve at the city water fill. I now have a cap on when city water is not supplied.

I also only turn the pump on when it is in use.

Find the problum first if it's a leak you don't what to waste water, we are in the habit of turning the pump off anytime not in use, that way never a surprise when returning to the coach with a flooded coach/dry water tank, burned out water pump, & maybe drained batteries. I am talking mainly for boondoocking.

It could be that the pump is leaking back through the pump and into the fresh water tank. You can check that possibility by filling your fresh water tank until it overflows. Then use your water pump for a short period to drop the fresh water tank slightly so the overflow stops. Then turn the pump off and then run your rig off of shore water. If there is a leak back through the pump the fresh water tank will overflow again. Happened to me and is not really uncommon.

Mine was doing that too. turned out to be the check valve was assembled wrong. A new pump head fixed the problem.

Your unit probably has some valves at the low point to drain the system for winterizing. Check those as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom