Water Pump Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

We just picked up a new-to-us class C in South Carolina and the fresh water tank was empty. We added about 1/3 tank just before bedtime and in the morning, we were flooded. We drained what little there was in the tank and used a fan over a few days to dry things out. The pump is right beside the tank, under the bed, at the rear of the rig. When we looked under the mattress, through the 8x8 hole provided, we saw the water was originating from the pump, but nothing specific as to where from.

So, how do we now locate the trouble spot without putting more water in the tank and repeating the problem?

Can that piece of plywood lift off if the mattress was off?
In if does not come off, Reach in through the hole and make sure all the hose fitting are tight. Are you in a cold climate? If you are, has the rig been used since last winter? Just wondering if you are in a cold climate, was it poorly winterize last winter.

Well, if it drained out overnight with the pump off then the leak is between the tank and the pump and/or the pump body itself. The fast fix is to buy a new pump, a new hose and connect them to the tank and pour a few gallons into it. If you're right the leak is fixed.

If you're wrong and it still leaks stash the pump somewhere to use as a spare, it may still be good and then start looking at replacing the tank itself.

I agree with Rene, sounds like something froze and cracked.

When my water pump under the bed puked it was the sediment bowl that was loose. Took longer to soak up the wet carpet than to fix the problem.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

When we looked under the mattress, through the 8x8 hole provided, we saw the water was originating from the pump, but nothing specific as to where from.
Did you have the pump turned on? If not a small amount of water in the tank then turn on the pump just long enough to observe if that pushes out water or not. If not, the leak must be before the pump or if the pump it will spray out. The only other choice that I know of would be to remove the pump and check it or to look for the leak with a bright light.

If the pump was on I would think that you would have heard it running?

Today we removed the pump for a closer look-see.

Part of the mattress base came off with the removal of just 4 screws.

No obvious cracks anywhere but the sediment filter was loose where the threaded plastic fitting screws into the pump itself. It will hand-tighten, but the filter then will not be vertical - about 30 degrees or so off. Does that matter? There was no Teflon tape used on any of the 3 screw fittings - water in, water out and filter.
If tape is used then it will probably tighten and be vertical. Should I do this?

The tank itself appears okay and when we initially looked in, the water was definitely coming from the pump, not the tank.

So, I think we will just hand-tighten everything and reinstall. The only question is Teflon tape - yes or no.

Teflon tape may help it stay on (not loosening as you drive) but I wouldn't count on it making it vertical. as long as you'r close to vertical I wouldn't worry about it, 30 degrees isn't enough to make sediment leave the trap.

Water leaks in RVs are not fun. Everything should be done to avoid them. Extra caution is always the best approach.

My suggestion is to hand tighten everything and confirm that the leak has stopped. If it does stop, I would disassemble and use a moderate amount of tape on the threads and make sure everything is tight enough so that it will not loosen. Re-test the assembly to make sure it is not leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom