Water Pump missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdoptedTexan

Hello. I’m a new member/RV owner. I guess RV is a misnomer since I don’t plan on ever moving it again, but anyway...

1995 Terry 5th Wheel. I bought it from a guy who bought it at auction. I’m using it as a hunting cabin. It’s old and needs work, but everything was functional when he showed it to me. I got it out to my property and powered it up, but there is no water. I turned on the pump (switch in kitchen) and no noise when I open a faucet. I tried finding the pump to check it out with no luck. What I did find were only two outlets from the water tank. One is clearly a drain. The other seems like it should go to a pump, but it’s unhooked. The gray pvc(?) pipe has what looks like a fresh makeshift cap on it (pictures attached). I want to think the best of people, but did this guy take the pump off before delivering the RV? I’m suspicious because now I can’t get in touch with him. Thanks.0844A9B2-C90F-4E0D-AC4C-BBA4FBF3EE73.jpeg597592D2-637C-41A2-8155-417C5B8B5CD6.jpeg6EAA976F-482F-4D0E-B656-DAD056DE4191.jpeg

That sure looks like where a water pump should go. There are several replacements available, do a Google search for 12 volt RV water pump. You want one with an automatic pressure switch and a 2 GPM or better flow rate. Prices range from around $50 to over $150..

If you never plan to move again, it's a mute point. It's hard to have a water and waste system without moving it. I'd take bottled water and a porta pot, and call it a dry place to sleep and enjoy, provided this is simply a hunting trailer.

If you never plan to move again, it's a mute point. It's hard to have a water and waste system without moving it. I'd take bottled water and a porta pot, and call it a dry place to sleep and enjoy, provided this is simply a hunting trailer.
That’s not great news... One of the biggest draws for me doing an old RV as opposed to a small cabin was the prospect of warm showers for the family. Building a shower room in my cabin plan turned out to be less cost effective than just buying the RV. I have a nearby water source I can use to keep the tank full. What challenges am I not anticipating? Thanks.

That sure looks like where a water pump should go. There are several replacements available, do a Google search for 12 volt RV water pump. You want one with an automatic pressure switch and a 2 GPM or better flow rate. Prices range from around $50 to over $150..
Thanks. I found one and ordered it just in case already. This is what I suspected, I just needed confirmation.

When it comes to dumping the tanks if you have a nearby (within 100 ft with additional hose) septic tank you can use a macerator pump such as the Sanicon Tank buddy to dump it, you can also use one to dump to a trailer mounted waste tank, sort of like in this video.
Note a new somewhat updated version of the Sanicon Tank buddy was introduced a year or two ago, though it still functions much the same.

When it comes to dumping the tanks if you have a nearby (within 100 ft with additional hose) septic tank you can use a macerator pump such as the Sanicon Tank buddy to dump it, you can also use one to dump to a trailer mounted waste tank, sort of like in this video.
Note a new somewhat updated version of the Sanicon Tank buddy was introduced a year or two ago, though it still functions much the same.
Thank you. I don’t think we are going to get to go out there enough to fill it very often. My plan is to bury a 250 gallon tote to dump to and we found someone who will drive out there and pump it for us for $300. I figured that at that rate annually it made more sense than doing septic or trying to move it out myself.

That’s not great news... One of the biggest draws for me doing an old RV as opposed to a small cabin was the prospect of warm showers for the family. Building a shower room in my cabin plan turned out to be less cost effective than just buying the RV. I have a nearby water source I can use to keep the tank full. What challenges am I not anticipating? Thanks.
Well, you certainly can add the pump as you are in the process of, but that water is easy to go through, and has to go somewhere. Granted, in the country, shower water, aka gray tank, might be able to be used to water the trees. I only say this, based on the year (25 yo), you could easily get involved with expenses getting a water tank plumbing and system into working order. You have the RV, it's not rocket science, plumbing is plumbing. Hopefully it works as you hope. Another option for black tank dumping, you could consider that macerator or not, and dump into a portable tank, and dump at a dumpstation nearby.

Legal and ethical questions aside, I think your plan works if you dispose of most of the gray waste water on the site and only use the 250 gal tank for black water. Otherwise showers and such are going to fill it quickly. Of course, water consumption is limited by the fresh tank capacity too, and you can't waste what you don't have.

Legal and ethical questions aside, I think your plan works if you dispose of most of the gray waste water on the site and only use the 250 gal tank for black water. Otherwise showers and such are going to fill it quickly. Of course, water consumption is limited by the fresh tank capacity too, and you can't waste what you don't have.
That is my plan. We are very rural, and I have made it a point to stock up on all 'nature friendly' biodegradable soaps. That way I can feel better about dumping my gray water. It's really no different from the water pump out of a barrel method I'm using now to wash hands, clean, etc.

If you have water nearby AND plan only trips above 32℉, no need for a water pump. Just connect the hose as your supply. For cold weather, get out the hose, fill the FW tank, disconnect, drain and store the hose. Run off the FW tank and pump.

On my camper (and most), the plumbing flow diagram is something like this:
Fresh water tank --> pump--> check valve --> TEE --> to the RV
also connected to the TEE Shore water --> RV connection --> check valve --> TEE
This is an over simplified version as most have a valve on the FW tank line, a tee and valve for winterizing, etc.

In my trailer, the pump acts as a check valve to prevent water from going back to the fresh tank when hooked up to city water. With the water pump removed, city water would simply flow through the hose that was disconnected from the pump. Take a look at the attached diagram and see if it is close to what you have.

Attachments

• RV Water System.jpg
    RV Water System.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1
Update: I bought a new water pump and installed it where I guess the old one was. It works just like it’s supposed to. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom