Water pump motor sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From everything I've read on this thread and from your description of the problem, I think the pump is not pressurizing, thus it keep running.
It is pressurizing,and stops pumping when it reaches pressure.

UPDATE: While finishing up getting things ready to go, I turned on the pump this afternoon,and it is no longer humming after it stops pumping.
I'll let y'all know if it happens again
Thanks for all the replies!

UPDATE: ...I turned on the pump this afternoon, and it is no longer humming after it stops pumping.
I wonder if there is a loose wire inside the pump that is moving around. That might help explain why it "hums" sometimes and then maybe why now it's stopped.

It will be interesting once you take the camper on the road and see if it starts again, or the camper shakes real good in a wind.

Keep an eye on it. I still think there is something going on inside the pump itself. Good luck!

It will be interesting once you take the camper on the road and see if it starts again, or the camper shakes real good in a wind.
This made me laugh. I'm currently in the midst of my annual move back to the location of my summer job. At the first gas stop, the steps on my coach quit working. 900 miles (and 3 gas stops) later I stopped at a rest area for the night. Opened the door to take the dog for a walk and the steps are back to working as normal. It's always something.

Returned home after towing 275 miles, spnding five nights in a state park and towing 275 miles back.

Just before leaving, the pump was working normally, but I discovered water coming from where the pump is,and thought I had a leak. It didn't appear serious,and decided to live with it for this trip and look into fixing it later. We turned the pump off when we were not using the water,and leave a towl where the water was coming out from under the vanity
During our stay when we did turn on the pump,it would pressurize and shut off normally.
There was often air in the lines when we turned the pump on,and I figured that is normal since we were turning off the pump.
On the fourth day,we noticed there was no more water leaking, but also about that time the pump started acting up. We were down to about 1/3 of our tank left, and the pump at times would not shut off, or it would make that humming sound again. Also there was always air in the lines,even if we left the pump switched on.

I haven't taken the time yet to investigate further. My next step will be to fill the tank up again and see what the pump does.
I suspect that I have a problem with the pump as DutchmanSport suggests. It's possible that the pump may have frozen in the winter. I had heat in the trailer during the cold snaps, but the pump location was on the side where the north wind hits,and closed off from the heat source.
I also need to figure out where the water was coming from. It looked like it was coming from inside a big glob of insulating foam where it goes through the floor.
Maybe the water quit leaking because the tank was not pressurizing?

familiarizing yourself with the system goes a long way when it comes to troubling shooting a water leak like you have.

first thing is to confirm that any connection using a threaded compression connection is tight and not cracked. if your pump has a removable inlet screen, make sure thats tight too.

if your system continuously brings burping air to your taps, chances are high that the leak is on the suction side of the pump (pump to tank). if it leaks even when the pump is off and there is no pressure at taps, probably leaking on the suction side of the pump.

if it leaks only when there is pressure in the system, probably leaking on the output side of the pump.

the fresh water holding tank does not get pressurized when the pump is running. fresh water is sucked from the tank then pumped into your house system.

Our check valve went wonky due to high pressure so Steve took it apart and put it back together and it's been fine since. Still makes a noise when air in pipes.

See if you can find the model and you should be able to get a manual.

The motor is good or you wouldn't hear it running, Just buy a replacement pump head kit(instructions included) for your model# and if you're handy- DIY.
As to sound; these tiny pumps will not pressurize air, so the motor does sound different when trying to compress air. You must have a faucet open for the pump to prime.
I too suspect the pump has frozen at some point.

Last edited:
As Henry noted, a crack on the suction side, if you have a clear bowl and screen or pump inlet fitting, will allow it to suck air, but many times will not leak. The attached pic shows the water pump in the motor home I had, on the coach floor, but under the false floor of a storage compartment. See the clear filter bowl on the near side of the pump? those freeze and crack easily, and are a suspect place for the pump to suck air, in addition to the pump body itself being cracked.

Charles

Attachments

• Water pump compartment Winnebago View MH.jpg
    Water pump compartment Winnebago View MH.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 8
UPDATE: I filled the water tank,and ran the pump three days ago.
I ran the water until there was no more air in the lines. Ran the water again on days two and three.
I have left the pump switched on the whole time it has been sitting idle.
So far no leaks or abnormal pump issues.
I'm not going to tear it apart if it's working normally,so I guess all I can do is wait and see if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom