WATER PUMP TROUBLES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, RV Forum Framily.

We need a little guidance on replacing/repairing the water pumps in our 1993 Blue Bird Wanderlodge. The pumps are FloJet brand and we are ASSUMING that they might be original equipment.

One pump is totally kaput; no power to it. The other pump's motor will run but it doesn't pump any water. The fresh water tank is full.

A variable-speed pump was suggested to us as a replacement for the two pumps.

Jack is trying to decide if he should repair the one pump whose motor is working, replace both of the pumps or install  the variable-speed model.($$$)

Comments, ideas and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Liz, 6 weeks and counting!!  ;D  ;D

Liz,

The ONLY pump I would recommend as a replacement is the AquaJet variable speed pump.  Far superior to anything Flowjet or Shurflo has to offer IMHO.  Many of the high line manufacturers like Country Coach and American Coach now install the AquaJet pumps. Information on these pumps can be found at: http://www.aquatec.com/new/products.html 

Hope this helps.

Howdy, Ron.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
Happy Thansksgiving,
Jack and Liz

If there is no power to one pump it could be the fuse.

If the other one runs try putting an external hose on the input into a container of water to see if it will pump that. If it does you have a blockage in the line somewhere or air is getting into it preventing it from priming.

John In Detroit said:
I noticed that too but assumed she meant to say the pump is drawing no power... Course I could be wrong

There is power available to both pumps. One pump is kaput(nothing happens) and the motor runs on the other pump.

Thanks,
Liz

As Jim suggested, it could be a blockage. If you leave the power on, does the one that doesn't work at all start to get hot? That could indicate that a blockage is preventing the motor from turning. You might try a reverse flush of the system by rigging up a garden hose or air compressor to one of your faucets to clear the blockage. Don't apply too much pressure (30-40lbs should be plenty), and you may have to remove any pump inlet filter, which may have a reverse flow preventer in it. If you try this, I would also recommend you disconnect the piping coming out of your fresh-water tank so you don't blow any gunk into it.

Howdy, Karl.
Thanks for the reply.

Karl said:
As Jim suggested, it could be a blockage. If you leave the power on, does the one that doesn't work at all start to get hot?

I will answer your question this way. In the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, there is a power toggle switch and another switch. This second switch can be turned and positioned at pump A, pumps AB or pump B. First one toggles on the power switch, then one chooses which pump to use,  A or B OR both pumps at the same time; that is position pump AB.  If we position the selector switch at pumps AB, the circuit breaker blows. (That is a problem for another day) So if we leave the power on, the one that doesn't work at all DOES NOT start to get hot. Jack has checked the pump inlet filters and they are not clogged. But we have not examined any other water line to the pump.
This is an interesting problem.  ;) And we appreciate all the replies.

Regards,
Liz

That tells me something... Assuming pump A is the one that runs but does not pump... Pump B is frozen, it is taking power, but it's not turning..... As someone suggested try a back flush (or dissassemble the pump and see if somethign is cloging it) clean and replace the inlet filter.

If you use the "Take apart" method.... Then make sure every thing turns easily by hand.. If you really need to torque it... Bearings are froze, would be easier to replace it. (and not much different in price)

If you find the non-running pump is clogged or jammed,,, Do a back flush on the lines to both pumps,,, Dissconnect at the pump,  AND AT THE SUPPLY TANK, plug the line to one pump and back flush as described, If that works plug the line you just flushed (Keep it full of water) and backflush the other line.

Might be a good idea on both pumps anyway

Finally... On my rig my wife ran the only pump (it has but one) dry... Once I re-filled the supply tank the pump did not reprime itself as I expected it to (I do not know why)  I had to pressure prime it.

Sounds complicated but on my rig it was easy as pie.

There are two ways to pressure prime... The method I used only required a few gallons of water in the supply tank.  The other method would have been to fill the supply tank... This would have put the water level ABOVE the pump and it would then have self primed just fine.

When I drained the tank and re-filled with anit-freeze for the winter... The pump re-primed just fine all by itself

Try replacing the inoperative pump with an Aquajet ES pump.  I think you will find that it will probably give you more flow and pressure than both the original pumps.

Ron said:
Try replacing the inoperative pump with an Aquajet ES pump.  I think you will find that it will probably give you more flow and pressure than both the original pumps.

Jack checked out the performance data and heat sink graph on this pump. He has concerns about the heat sink getting hot and then being shut down.

Regards,
Liz

Jackliz said:
Jack checked out the performance data and heat sink graph on this pump. He has concerns about the heat sink getting hot and then being shut down.

Regards,
Liz

We replaced our original Shurflo pump with the Aqua Jet and have never had a problem in more than three years.  I'm sure if there were an issue the many high line manufacturers installing them as original equipment wouldn't be using them. 

When we replaced the Sureflo pump it had not failed or even deteriorated.  The reason for replacement was to improve water flow after I had done some research.  Now when boondocking and one is in the shower and the water is turned on at another location the shower water does not slow down.

I am late into this waterpump problem but...  On the pumb that does run - try hooking to a hudrant - leave the pump on and open both hot and cold faucets.  Often if there is an air bubble in the line or in the pumb - it will clear it out.  There are rebuilding kits for the pumps also.  New vavles and gaskets.  Dirt and grim cut holes in the rubber valves.

The new water pumps are rated very good.  I have one as a standy replacement part.

Back
Top Bottom