water softener - narrowed down to 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Save yourself a few $$s and buy the cheaper one. Then take the savings and buy a

It's even better if you can find one of these cartridge filters that the housing is clear plastic. The more expensive softener is charging you $50.00 for some parts you can buy for less the $10 at ACE hardware.

You can use the filter ahead of the softener. When you regenerate, remove the cartridge and use the filter housing. Take the filter housing, fill it with salt pellets - the ones they sell for home water softeners - and turn the housing upside down. Run water through the salt into the softener and control the flow to a slow trickle. The best way to control the flow is with a hose shut off valve on the outlet of the softener. That way it is always pressurized and the resin is compacted. You should take about 20-30 minutes to dissolve all the salt. With a clear filter housing you can see when the salt is dissolved.

By the way, I started my working life designing large industrial water softeners and later was VP of one of the chemical companies that made the softening resins. I have one of the 16,000 grain units on our RV and have been using the above process of regeneration for over 10 years.
Chet18013. Why use regular salt pellets instead of table salt like the manufacturers of the On the Go products recommend? Is there a benefit to doing that?

Hi-
looking to get a larger softener and have narrowed it down to the following:
On The Go Portable Double Standard Water Softener 16,000
Amazon.com: On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener: Automotive
Portable 16,000 Grain Mobile-soft-water
Amazon.com: Mobile-Soft-Water Portable 16,000 Grain (tm) Unit with Tank, Tank Head, Lead Free NSF 61 Male GHC Tank Connections, Distributor, Resin and Instructions. Used in Rv & Car Wash Applications.: Automotive

looking for opinions or if any one has experience with them, we currently have the on the go 8000 but it needs new resign and I have be asked to get the larger one. LOL

thanks
Hi OP! I'd just like to ask if both of those options are salt-based water softener systems? Because I read here about the the different types of water softener systems and based on what I read, I feel like a salt-based water softener system is the best option for me given how hard water is here in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom