water softener - narrowed down to 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Save yourself a few $$s and buy the cheaper one. Then take the savings and buy a

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sediment-Bacteria-Chlorine-40631/dp/B00523AMBC/ref=pd_sim_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00523AMBC&pd_rd_r=9CRMCMT107JBBEX206XS&pd_rd_w=Zy3bC&pd_rd_wg=2tJze&psc=1&refRID=9CRMCMT107JBBEX206XS

It's even better if you can find one of these cartridge filters that the housing is clear plastic. The more expensive softener is charging you $50.00 for some parts you can buy for less the $10 at ACE hardware.

You can use the filter ahead of the softener. When you regenerate, remove the cartridge and use the filter housing. Take the filter housing, fill it with salt pellets - the ones they sell for home water softeners - and turn the housing upside down. Run water through the salt into the softener and control the flow to a slow trickle. The best way to control the flow is with a hose shut off valve on the outlet of the softener. That way it is always pressurized and the resin is compacted. You should take about 20-30 minutes to dissolve all the salt. With a clear filter housing you can see when the salt is dissolved.

By the way, I started my working life designing large industrial water softeners and later was VP of one of the chemical companies that made the softening resins. I have one of the 16,000 grain units on our RV and have been using the above process of regeneration for over 10 years.

I plan on getting the one you are looking at The Go Portable Double Standard Water Softener. Pretty much all water conditioners are the same, just matter of different style of hook ups and regeneration process and that's not that much difference. I am getting the larger 16,000 grain and having two more extra batches of resin to swap out. I plan on developing a better method of regeneration.

I have had water conditioner for the last 26 years and now I am spoiled for soft water. 

For me Bigger is always better and more is never enough. LOL

thanks - I will get the mobile soft water one. I  have the filter system like the one in your link. I got mine at Menards, they are not clear. I use two of them in line the first is a string wound sediment filter and the second one is the charcoal taste and odor. We are full time and have really bad water and really good water.
I like the regeneration process you described, I will look for a clear filter housing and try that.

Don't have a water softener at the house and never thought of one for the RV.  Is there any benefit to the RV plumbing system by using one or is it primarily for the benefits of soft water when bathing?

been using the Mobile soft water softener for about a month now and we are happy with the results. I will need to do a regen in a week or so, if I remember I will post about that.
DW likes the soft water for showering, laundry and it also keeps the hard water deposits off the faucets and shower door, etc.. I also like it for washing the truck and camper.

I did the regeneration and it was easy to do- all the salt poured right in. ran the water through it like the instructions said and in about 30 minutes we were ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-10-Standard-Housing-Pressure/dp/B003VT7ERY/ref=pd_sbs_328_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003VT7ERY&pd_rd_r=57db16a7-a94a-11e8-9f1d-0fdf2b561195&pd_rd_w=r7Xil&pd_rd_wg=kAMGJ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=AZ4Y0E7WVZD1J80QBV5P&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=AZ4Y0E7WVZD1J80QBV5P

Here's the one I use.

One thing to be careful of - my first rig was a '92 Bounder and where we spent the summer in Wyoming had pretty hard water. I bought a portable unit and it sat on the ground beside the motorhome. Well, one morning in early September we woke up to a temp in the low 20's. You guessed it - the resin beads inside were now a gray mush.

The replacement resin was more than I had paid originally, so it did not get fixed.

Chet, thanks for the tip on doing the regen!

To those asking about needing/having a softener for the RV...we wouldn?t be without it!  Not sure I can speak to the huge benefits other than being able to get suds when I shower and for my wife being able to easily untangle her long hair  :p

I plan on getting the one you are looking at The Go Portable Double Standard Water Softener. Pretty much all water conditioners are the same, just matter of different style of hook ups and regeneration process and that's not that much difference. I am getting the larger 16,000 grain and having two more extra batches of resin to swap out. I plan on developing a better method of regeneration.

I have had water conditioner for the last 26 years and now I am spoiled for soft water.

For me Bigger is always better and more is never enough. LOL
How's your water softener?

I want to thank to OP for posting this. I am parked permanently in central Florida, the hard water capitol of the world. I did not realize that I could add a water softener so cheap and easy. I will spend the next few days researching hard water.

Reactions: SMR
I have a Fleck 5600 and they are great heads. I have a larger brine and resin tank. You might even get away with a complete self contained system.

Still using the softener with no issues. I usually regenerate once a month, however at one campground this winter (in Florida) it was every week.

I bought the On the Go double last year at the recommendation of a co worker and love it. Been using the Camco charcoal filter but will be upgrading to a serviceable charcoal/sediment combo this year. Who knows maybe I'll be able to stop buying drinking water and use the tap water after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom