Water Supply Pressure Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalman RVer

I recently installed a small cistern in close proximity to our Glendale 5er for convenience, where we store it on our rural property & spend quite a bit of time in it & have a submersible cistern pump hooked to our pressure system which develops approx 60lbs at the high end cut out pressure. We put our RV water pressure regulator in line on the feed but the water flow is not very acceptable flow wise.  Is 60 psi too high of a pressure to feed the RV with, or is it better to live with the low flow to protect things?  Could be the regular is defective, but not sure. Nothing is plugged up on it.

60 psi shouldn't hurt anything. One question I have is what are you using for a regulator? Is it on of those little brass types like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressure-Regulator-High-Pressure-40055/dp/B003BZD08U

If so, it is not a true regulator, but a flow restrictor. It keeps pressure down when you are actually using water in the RV, but the pressure will build up to whatever the supply pressure is when water use stops.

60 psi should be fine. I agree about the regulator. They are usually 40-50 which should be adequate if you have the right one. Another thing we did if you are mainly concerned about shower pressure which I am assuming is your concern. We removed the flow restrictor in the shower head. Or you could upgrade to a oxegenics head. They work very well.

kdbgoat said:
60 psi shouldn't hurt anything. One question I have is what are you using for a regulator? Is it on of those little brass types like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressure-Regulator-High-Pressure-40055/dp/B003BZD08U

If so, it is not a true regulator, but a flow restrictor. It keeps pressure down when you are actually using water in the RV, but the pressure will build up to whatever the supply pressure is when water use stops.

Yes it appears to be the same or similar to the Camco link that you attached. It came with the RV when we purchased it last year.  I did notice when the regulator is connected that we do get an initial surge then it drops off to slow flow.........

metalman55 said:
Yes it appears to be the same or similar to the Camco link that you attached. It came with the RV when we purchased it last year.  I did notice when the regulator is connected that we do get an initial surge then it drops off to slow flow.........

That is a pressure regulator, there is no such thing as a flow restrictor sold for RV use.  That said, the type shown in the link is junk and will reduce the flow considerably under some conditions.  Get a better model that looks like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Brass-Adjustable-RV-Water-Regulator/55355982  There are higher priced and higher quality brands available as well.  Personally, I would simply run with the 60 PSI.

First 60 PSI is right on the edge
2nd You can ADJUIST the pressure switch to 50 or 55
Third.. Is that regulator a cylinder about 3/4 Inch in diamater with hose fittings on the ends. The male hose fitting is part of the cylinder itself?  JUNK scrap it

Get a Valterra adjustable (About 20-35 dollars) or a Watts or Zurin 3/4 inch In-line (you will need hose adapters with those) about 60 total. and try it as your regulator. Mine is set to 60 PSI

60 PSI is the point where SOME valves (not all makes and models) in SOME RV's fail.  Yours.. I can't tell since I don't know which ones are like that.

Anything in the 50-60 psi range is fine. Your problem is the regulator. That type has a very low flow volume (gallons/minute of flow) which effectively drops the pressure even further than the static regulation.  One of the better quality regulators mentioned earlier in this topic should solve the flow problem nicely.
A lower priced alternative to the Valterra are these "other brands" that appear to be the same specs as the Valterra labeled model. Valterra is a contract manufacturer as well as an RV product distributor, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are identical.

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regulator-Lead-free-Adjustable-A01-1117tm/dp/B00KH7RFVI/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHFCSKM

Don't know if flow was better before but check the screens at the output of the faucets. Some faucets have several screens there. I removed all but one in each of our bathroom and kitchen faucets and flow improved. Also, see if the screens are clogged somewhat. Also, if you are using an inline filter you might need to change it out.

Yes, the flow is fine when we use the12v pump so it is not the screens in any of the faucets.  Also, I just changed the in line filter yesterday by chance, so that is likely not the issue.

We did remove the in-line regulator last evening...??..will likely continue to try it that way & see.

Also, we can lower the pressure switch settings on the pump a bit to get closer to 50 psi. cutout  ??...good idea.

The need for a pressure regulator in an RV is protection from CG water supply at too high of a pressure.  Since your camper sees ONLY water from YOUR cistern at a known pressure, the regulator is really unnecessary.  The in line filter is a very good addition.

One other option is to use the cistern to fill the fresh water tank, then use the 12V pump to provide desired flow in the camper.

lynnmor said:
That is a pressure regulator, there is no such thing as a flow restrictor sold for RV use.  That said, the type shown in the link is junk and will reduce the flow considerably under some conditions.  Get a better model that looks like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Brass-Adjustable-RV-Water-Regulator/55355982  There are higher priced and higher quality brands available as well.  Personally, I would simply run with the 60 PSI.

So, I saw this discussion some time ago, but didn't think a lot about it until now.  I have one of those round brass inline pressure regulators, and it is not adjustable.  However, when I use it, we often don't have enough pressure to give a decent shower when connected to an over-pressure shore water connection.  I need to run the pump in tandem to get enough for a proper shower.

Can I expect that getting one of the better brass adjustable units will resolve this?  Is the flow rate really that much better than the round brass cylinder types?  Or is it more a case of being able to set the outlet pressure higher than the default outlet pressure on the non-adjustable types?

Thanks.

Frank.

It will improve the water flow, But I would also check the shower head and see if that needs upgraded. Be warned if you increase the flow rate it will deplete you water tank and fill your grey tank faster....But on the upside it's a much nicer shower.

Gizmo100 said:

It will improve the water flow, But I would also check the shower head and see if that needs upgraded. Be warned if you increase the flow rate it will deplete you water tank and fill your grey tank faster....But on the upside it's a much nicer shower.

Understood.  And, yes, we do need a new shower head.  However, I've not been able to find the kind I want for trailer use.  It looks like a little megaphone and is often used in the showers in RV parks.  It pretty much atomizes the water the flow is so low.  That means that the temp goes down quickly as soon as it leaves the shower head, but that can be adjusted.  And, they are real water misers.  I just can't find one for RV telephone shower use, however.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/delta-single-setting-shower-head-chrome/1001119217?eid=PS_GOOGLE_E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Bath_Bath_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-557174762876&gclid=CjwKCAjwv6blBRBzEiwAihbM-VU7Q4sYymroIq4eQH5E5lFTJc2DSAMRU69km_13Qm3PY5-4Pd94DBoCCc0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/delta-2-setting-shower-head-chrome/1001119216?eid=PS_GOOGLE_E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Bath_Bath_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-557174762876&gclid=CjwKCAjwv6blBRBzEiwAihbM-SgkWNX4SkwbKlpVGR8xmwFHWdDaWSPHMNEFawk7FaXPRx_a1ExhFRoCXDEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These work on a home shower where the head is screwed onto the metal shower pipe protruding from the wall.  However, I have never seen one for a telephone style shower.

Frank.

Telephone style?

Every motorhome I've owned used a standard shower outlet connection (threaded) and you could screw on any hose, shower head, or gadget.  I don't remember the trailers before that, though.
I gather yours is different, so maybe time for a plumbing upgrade project? Change out the faucet so you have more options?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Telephone style?

Every motorhome I've owned used a standard shower outlet connection (threaded) and you could screw on any hose, shower head, or gadget.  I don't remember the trailers before that, though.
I gather yours is different, so maybe time for a plumbing upgrade project? Change out the faucet so you have more options?

Yeah, telephone style.  I hate it, but my wife likes it.  I've never come across a trailer that has a threaded shower pipe.  All 3 of the ones we have owned all had telephone style showers.

I looked at redoing the plumbing, and putting in a single-lever faucet instead of the dual tap unit we have now.  However, it is a lot of work....  It can be done, as the back of the shower is up against a closet, so I can get at the back of the shower plumbing.  Just getting old and lazy, I guess.

Frank.

Please describe "telephone style".

My shower faucet (old and new) as well as every one I looked at have ?"MNPT output (I think that is the size) which is the standard size for every hand held shower I have ever seen.  The old faucet had a hot and cold knob, and the pipe thread connection.  The new one has on/off, temp adjustment. and the pipe thread connection.

Any hand held from HD should work fine.

grashley said:
Please describe "telephone style".

My shower faucet (old and new) as well as every one I looked at have ?"MNPT output (I think that is the size) which is the standard size for every hand held shower I have ever seen.  The old faucet had a hot and cold knob, and the pipe thread connection.  The new one has on/off, temp adjustment. and the pipe thread connection.

Any hand held from HD should work fine.

This is what I think of when he says telephone style

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 6
That still appears to be a 1/2" hose fitting on the faucet, so ought to be able to use most any common hand-held shower hear. Or mount a bracket on the wall and use a fixed mount head.

This shower head might be a good compromise with you and your wife  :))

https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-White-Oxygenics-Shower/dp/B00F5MUB66/?tag=rvwebnetwork-20

Back
Top Bottom