Water Supply Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

Since it is too cold and much too wet to go camping, I have too much time to think.  ;D

So far in our camping life, I have filled the fresh water tank and simply used the pump to supply the FW with water.  When the tank runs dry, I refill.  One time, sites did not have water, so a hose from a shared hydrant 75 ft away.  Another time, from the site hydrant.  Other than at home, I have never connected to "shore" water.

Is there a problem with this approach?
What are the advantages of hooking up to shore water?

There's nothing wrong with that approach. The most obvious advantage to hooking up when available though, is not needing to refill the fresh tank periodically. A secondary advantage is the pump not needing to run every time you open a faucet or flush the toilet. We typically hook up to shore water for longer stays, but often skip it for overnights while enroute to a destination.

One advantage is that you do not run out of water in the middle of a shower.

There is nothing wrong with using the pump other than that you must monitor your tank level.

If you have a clothes washer it is nice to not worry about how much water you have in the tank.  However then you also need to have a grey water drain if you are doing much laundry.

Another advantage of using the pump is that you do not have to worry as much about high water pressure at the water source.  A pressure regulater will also help in the case of high pressure.

Most all my camping is done in State Parks, (at least for now).  I never hook up to water, even if it is close.  I wouldn't want to give the illusion to others (aka: DW) that water was limitless, because the tanks below sure aren't.  Your situation and 5r is a tad different, but concept remains.  If I had full hook ups, and was going to be at the place more than 3-4 days, I'd probably hook to city water.  Heck, I don't even have a regulator... (suppose I certainly should get one  :-\)

Back
Top Bottom