Water System Use in Freezing Temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie65

My wife and I must live in our RV for several weeks in an area where the temps will soon fall below freezing routinely.  The RV park will be turning off water and sewer service when the cold arrives.  My question is can RV antifreeze be added at some ratio to the fresh water tank so we can still continue to use the toilet and wash dishes?

Not sure how to reply as we routinely use our Motor Home in temperatures well below freezing, even below zero F, without resorting to extreme measures.  We do need AC power for auxilliary heaters though while parked and may use the generator for AC while driving.

It really depends on the configuration of your RV, are the tanks in a heated area or exposed, etc.

Let us know more about your specific RV and we can provide better information.

The fresh water tank is in the RV (class C) behind the drivers seat under the table bench seat so i would think that tank would be OK. The holding tanks are exposed, no shroud around them, no fancy heaters etc...

Sounds like your fresh tank should be OK, though there may be water lines that run close to the outer surfaces and could freeze. Expereince will have to guide you on that. Add some RV antifreeze to the waste tanks.

Where will you get fresh water and dump waste when the park shuts down their services?

You can flush with the pink stuff but I"m not sure I'd wash dishes with it.

IN 2006 when I headed out at the end of the year I had a few gallons in a jerry can inside the rig.. Good thing too cause the night they told me on the weather the low would be around 19 (Warm enough I felt comfortable, my rig is guaranteed down to 20, I figured 19 was close enough) ... Well.. It really went down a bit more than expected... MINUS SIX when I woke up.

Froze solid, the only water I had was what was inside the heated RV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxL
Back
Top Bottom