Waterproofing membrane for roof replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

Can waterproofing membrane be used as a roof replacement on it's own? I'm looking at buying an rv that had part of it's roof completely removed and redone. They said they framed it out with wood and then used 1" thick foam insulation, and then covered the foam and boards with waterproofing membrane, and then painted over that with a few coats of elastomeric paint. I walked on the roof and couldn't tell much of a difference from that and the original roof, but the idea of the membrane seems like a thin roofing solution. Is this something that sounds like it will hold up and last a while?

Sounds like a half assed repair job. More than likely the RV is worthless now.

I'm not sure what "waterproofing membrane" may actually be, since the typical EPDM or TPO RV roof membrane could be described that way too. There are various materials described like that, e.g.polyurethane and even some self-stick sheet materials.

Have you every looked at EPDM or TPO membranes? That aren't real thick either. For that matter, the fiberglass or PVC sheet used on RV roofs is thin too, about 1/16th inch.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine if the workmanship is solid.

I'm not sure what "waterproofing membrane" may actually be, since the typical EPDM or TPO RV roof membrane could be described that way too. There are various materials described like that, e.g.polyurethane and even some self-stick sheet materials.

Have you every looked at EPDM or TPO membranes? That aren't real thick either. For that matter, the fiberglass or PVC sheet used on RV roofs is thin too, about 1/16th inch.

I haven't looked into either of those, I really wasn't sure where to start- thanks for the starting place! And thanks for that input about whether it would work. I'm now wondering what various RV roofs are made of. I've seen metal ones and I've seen many that are painted over. Are there specific materials or external roof layers that are more common and/or better?

II would be more concerned why part of the roof was removed and reframed. If it was because of a leak that rotted the wood you may have rot in the walls and floor too. The membrane might be the least of your worries.

I haven't looked into either of those, I really wasn't sure where to start- thanks for the starting place! And thanks for that input about whether it would work. I'm now wondering what various RV roofs are made of. I've seen metal ones and I've seen many that are painted over. Are there specific materials or external roof layers that are more common and/or better?
Except for high end RVs you'll find EPDM or TPO on the roofs. RV makers are not in a race to build the best, they are in a race to maximize their profit margin. EPDM is coated with a protective layer which may look like paint but most coatings are more durable compounds to block UV from the sun. Some coatings have to be reapplied every few years, some after 20 years. If properly cared for and not damaged a rubber roof can last almost indefinitely.

My guess is that the membrane they are talking about is similar to red guard or aqua defense. It is commonly used in showers and bathrooms to create a water barrier. I'm dealing with some pretty decent water damage on the front roof and my rubber membrane is cracked/damaged in multiple places. I will be replacing that, but will likely use something similar under the rubber to help prevent it in the future.

My guess is that the membrane they are talking about is similar to red guard or aqua defense. It is commonly used in showers and bathrooms to create a water barrier. I'm dealing with some pretty decent water damage on the front roof and my rubber membrane is cracked/damaged in multiple places. I will be replacing that, but will likely use something similar under the rubber to help prevent it in the future.
Be aware that the EDPM or TPO roof material is normally glued to the substrate. If you're using a second membrane under it, that would have to be glued down as well.

To be honest, your description does not inspire much confidence. I haven't worked with a waterproofing membrane in the context of trailers; however, in my opinion, it is not strong enough to protect the structure from hail or other heavy precipitation.

I agree with surchicham. And it's not just that. The additional coating in the form of wood, foam, and paint doesn't sound stable. After all, if you make a roof, then from something more durable that will last for a certain amount of time. I had a similar story with the siding. A year ago, I hastily covered the house with mineral plaster. And after a while, it began to crack and deteriorate. Then I already decided not to save money and call good masters. The guys from the one company came and did everything efficiently.

In general, consider more options. Do not get hung up on one option.

Last edited:

Hi there Gary & USMC_Warrior_0311
I have been looking for a waterproofing membrane for my RV roof, which is has cracks from being exposed to weather etc. one of my close friends which also has a RV introduced me to Semco Liquid Membrane. I've done my research on this product and WOW I'm so impressed. This product is an elastomeric waterproofing membrane and is also a water based product. I chatted to the customer service agents to get more info on what I wanted to achieve and they directed into the right route. I prepped my roof with their cleaners, and my roof was ready to be waterproofed by Semco Liquid Membrane. It even seals cracks up to 1/4". I was so relieved that my issue was resolved. I applied 2 coats as required by the company to waterproof and protect my roof. Trust me you will not be making a mistake. It can even be applied to fibreglass, EPDM, metal, wood and another water/acrylic based coating including polyurethane. I was so concerned about the color fading and this is definitely not the case with this product its got organic pigments which won't make the color fade because its UV stable.
Redguard is a silicone based product which can only be applied to certain surfaces, where as Semco Liquid Membrane can be applied to almost any hard surface. Please have a look you'll thank me later

Back
Top Bottom