Waxing your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the roof was gelcoat it might need waxing. I too was a boat owner for 30 years and the horizontal surfaces do get oxidized. But the sides of the boats, like the sides of an RV, generally do not get as oxidized because the sun is not hitting them from directly overhead. The sides will get oxidized if they are neglected and not kept clean.

I use "one step" Meguiars #67. Works for me. With a power buffer. Out of the sun. In my case, I do the side away from the sun. For instance, if the sun is in the east, I do the west side, etc. I don't have an enclosure to park in.

I’m a big fan of Meguiars everything I just don’t know if it’s best for my RV. Suggestions please !!
That will work just fine. If it has black streaks, Walmart sells some black streak remover that actually works pretty well. I will add that I use some 303 protectant on the decals, mine is a 2012 and looks very good.

definitely have oxidation to take care of
Then you need a polish rather than a wax (shine) product. Depending on the degree of oxidation, maybe a light-medium polish or a heavy duty one. Your sidewalls are no doubt laminated filon, but is it painted or just decals? You can't polish a vinyl decal, but the rest of the side & rear wall should clean up ok. Meguiars makes an oxidation removal product and so does ProtectAll and Starbrite.

Then you need a polish rather than a wax (shine) product. Depending on the degree of oxidation, maybe a light-medium polish or a heavy duty one. Your sidewalls are no doubt laminated filon, but is it painted or just decals? You can't polish a vinyl decal, but the rest of the side & rear wall should clean up ok. Meguiars makes an oxidation removal product and so does ProtectAll and Starbrite.
Combo paint and decals hummmm not sure what laminate colon is have to google that

Switched to Wash Wax All from Aero Cosmetics which is a dry wash product. What switched me was another Full Timing Camper I met used it exclusively on his full paint 5th wheel since 2017 and it looked great. Been using for approximately 6 months and pleased with the results. Actually had a neighbor ask what I used the last time I "washed" it.

I’m apparently in the wrong business cause I looked on line just for kicks. A detailing for a 26’ rv would cost well over 500 clams 😳
I am in CA and the guys who detail my car say they will do outside for 350. 35 ft class A. I would get a different quote.

I have used Meguiars and Turtle Wax ICE and a couple others. All were good all were the same wax in fact.
I have ask about having it done and $10.00/foot seems about normal for a Class A. (And that was years ago)

I had lots of love bugs on the nose of my 5th wheel.I back my truck up to the nose and by standing on tailgate I can reach everything with a CAMCO was mop. Sprayed them with bug remover let is set a few mins and gently rubbed with a plastic scrub sponge. Next washed with Blue Coral wash/wax followed with Griots Garage foaming protectant. You simply spray on with a foaming cannon anr rinse before it dries. Have used this method 2-3 times, also on 2020 F-250. Have people ask me “ who did the ceramic coat on your truck”? If fact friend has a F-150 same color, bragged he pd over a grand for someone to ceramic coat. My truck shines as good as his and lasts well over 6 months! Might cost me $10 and take half an hr to apply thee Griotts!
Problem, stood back admiring the extreme shine. However the black portion on top half of nose you could see the skeleton looking of the love bugs, white looked absolutly perfect. The top portion of the nose is impossible to reach by hand. Including from the roof, truck or ladder due to the shape of the nose. My wash mop is only good for washing, no good for waxing, polishing, or cleaner wax. Does anyone have recommendation of a “waxing, scrubbing type mop, pole where as you can apply sufficient pressure that can attach a polishing cloth to, whatever?

Last edited:
After browsing for a new bottle of RV wax, I came across this TW Ice wax spray and decided to get it. I washed as usual and dried the vehicle as usual. Followed directions and sprayed, wiped around then used a dry microfiber to remove it. The shine left behind was phenomenal. The ease of putting it on and taking it off was ridiculously easy until I did the hood while the sun was hitting it. I saw streaks but with some elbow grease, I was able to remove them. After doing the entire vehicle, I was in awe and just stood there not believing my eyes and the shine. I was totally impressed and so hooked that I did another vehicle and got the same results.

This RV wax has lubricity agents designed to promote ease of application. It also makes use of a sturdy formula in the sense that it beads longer when compared to ordinary wax. It tends to spread unevenly when you first apply it, though but after that, it will eventually even out and lose streaks.

After browsing for a new bottle of RV wax, I came across this TW Ice wax spray and decided to get it. I washed as usual and dried the vehicle as usual. Followed directions and sprayed, wiped around then used a dry microfiber to remove it. The shine left behind was phenomenal. The ease of putting it on and taking it off was ridiculously easy until I did the hood while the sun was hitting it. I saw streaks but with some elbow grease, I was able to remove them. After doing the entire vehicle, I was in awe and just stood there not believing my eyes and the shine. I was totally impressed and so hooked that I did another vehicle and got the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possessors of outfits with RV decals need wax to keep them in good condition. Manufacturers honored this need and began developing waxes specifically for these shells. Eventually, not all types of wax will produce the asked results on a plaque or sticker. Some waxes will beget endless damage if applied to it. As a result, plaque carriage possessors need caravan plaque waxes to keep them looking good.

Where's Bob? Oh, he's out waxing his caravan.

But there is some good advice for folks with vinyl decals. Cleaner waxes with solvents aren't always the best thing to use on vinyl.

New to the forum, and I've been using for several years now with great results is Mequiars Mirror Glaze 21 (Amazon bout $38 a gallon). Prior to this product, I used religiously Nu Finish which is a great product in itself. However, I've found the Mequiars to last as long as Nu Finish but it doesn't take as much elbow work to remove it, plus the real deciding factor is no "wax" dust left over like found when using NF.

I'll do one side of my 36' motor home, full body paints with a double clear coat sealing in the decal striping one day, then the other side either the next day or a couple of days later. Front and backs are done quickly whenever. Then for touch-ups especially on the front, I use Mequiars spray on Ceramic wax coating, Walmart $18 which really adds an additional brilliant shine after each washing.

Switched to Wash Wax All from Aero Cosmetics which is a dry wash product. What switched me was another Full Timing Camper I met used it exclusively on his full paint 5th wheel since 2017 and it looked great. Been using for approximately 6 months and pleased with the results. Actually had a neighbor ask what I used the last time I "washed" it.
X2. Been using on ours since we purchased new, people always ask if it is new and then want to know what I use. I do ours every 3 to 4 months. As full timers we rarely get the chance to wash the camper so this is a great product for us.

Back
Top Bottom