WB Roof Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kewlbreeze

So, what do you clean the roof with? Mine has a fair amount of mold on it. On a sailboat I would use X-14 (from the makers of WD-40).

Once clean, what do you put on it to protect the fiberglass? 303 protectant? Should I paint it with a marine style paint?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis
Planet Houston

Is it fiberglass or EPDM? Fiberglass scrub it with your X14 followed by a good wax job. EPDM there are several products available. Whatever you use make sure it has Zero petroleum products in it.

Is it fiberglass or EPDM? Fiberglass scrub it with your X14 followed by a good wax job. EPDM there are several products available. Whatever you use make sure it has Zero petroleum products in it.
The Winnebago roofs are "Filon" - a thin layer of fiberglass bonded to luan.

On my fiberglass roof I always used a general purpose detergent (Simple Green, Spic & Span, etc) plus strong bleach, but X14 ought to work. You pretty much can't hurt the fiberglass sheet roof, but the dirty gunk that runs off will likely streak the sides of the RV if not washed & rinsed immediate after.

Guess I'm a cheapskate, I mix 3-4 OZ. bleach with car wash soap in a 5G pail of water. I begin with the fiberglass roof and wash downward. This solution keeps my MH free of mold/mildew and the black junk that falls out of the atmosphere every day. The gel coat and decals are left shiny and bright, and no streaking.
During a "normal" year I wash my MH about 6-7 times this way.

I just cleaned mine by using a pressure washer and it worked great !!! Let it dry and waxed it with Zep - Industrial Floor wax, High Traffic. It takes 4 thin coats and is supposed to last for more then 5 years.

On my fiberglass roof I always used a general purpose detergent (Simple Green, Spic & Span, etc) plus strong bleach, but X14 ought to work. You pretty much can't hurt the fiberglass sheet roof, but the dirty gunk that runs off will likely streak the sides of the RV if not washed & rinsed immediate after.
I use a ladder. Simple Green with a brush and a 6 foot or longer pole works great and it's cheap. As Gary said, you have to rinse the sides fast. I use a little bottle sprayer and wash cloth for everything else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom