WD hitch, how heavy to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CdnBea

I've just purchased a Jay FLight 27 BH. for a WD hitch do I buy a 750 lb or 1 000 lb?

Thanks,
Bea

I forgot to mention the dry hitch weight is 585 lbs. (corrected a typo)

CdnBea said:
I've just purchased a Jay FLight 27 BH. for a WD hitch do I buy a 750 lb or 1 000 lb?

Thanks,
Bea

I forgot to mention the dry hitch weight is 585 lbs. (corrected a typo)

Let me quote Bill Estes'? The RV Handbook 2ed:? "The spring bars should be rated at least the amount of the hitch weigh of the trailer, plus about 200 lbs if the tow vehicle is softly sprung."? (I would think that a 2WD Tahoe would be softly sprung.)

?Estes is talking about the adjustment of the whole hitching system.? ?This is done by hitching up the trailer, which will cause the back of the tow vehicle to sag.? ?One then tensions the spring bars so that the tow vehicle resumes the same attitude as it did before hitching.? In other words you increase tension on the spring bars until the rear of the tow vehicle not longer sags relative to the front.? ?If you cannot tension the bars enough to do this, then you have increase the rating of the bars. ? If the 750s don't do the job, then you need the 1000s

HI again Carl!

My Tahoe is  4WD (Alldrive). Does that make a difference? Also, when I test towed the rig the dealer put on a 750 lb wd hitch/anti sway bar set up.  Would that be good?

I do know I'll have to get myself a tire iron or longer bar to tighten (term?) the chains.

Thanks again!

I owe ya.
Bea

CdnBea said:
HI again Carl!

My Tahoe is? 4WD (Alldrive). Does that make a difference? Also, when I test towed the rig the dealer put on a 750 lb wd hitch/anti sway bar set up.? Would that be good?

I do know I'll have to get myself a tire iron or longer bar to tighten (term?) the chains.

Difference depends.? ?Offroad 4WDs have a stiff, high compliance suspension mounted on heavy sidewalled LT rated tires.? They sit high off the ground to gain road clearance (eg the Bronco). All wheel drives (AWD) tend to have normal suspensions and road clearance.? ?Their purpose is to provide 4WD advantages in sloppy conditions? on pavement and good dirt roads.?

The clue to proper spring bar tension is the re-leveling of the tow vehicle.? ?If you cannot get that leveling with a 750-lb bar, or you are on the last link of the chains, you have move up to a 1000-lb bar.

Not tire iron.? Pipe.? But in any case it does not appear that would be useable with the Equalizer system.? ?Actually, most of the grunt and groan is obviated with the hitch jack.? That is why I keep harping on getting a powered one.

The hitch I can get is http://www.dsphitches.com/OurStuff/2002_DSP_cat.pdf It's a Canadian product out of  Edmdonton.

This is the one I used when I test towed. Everything was balanced with chain to spare. (a 750 lbs)

thoughts on it?
Bea

The hitch I can get is http://www.dsphitches.com/OurStuff/2002_DSP_cat.pdf It's a Canadian product out of  Edmdonton.

This is the one I used when I test towed. Everything was balanced with chain to spare. (a 750 lbs)

thoughts on it?

I do not see any provision for a friction-bar sway control or a camming type in the fashion of Reese's Dual Cam system.    All I see is a claim that friction on the ball and on the two chain lifts resist sway.  Inasmuch as the usual practice is to lube the ball and the spring bars seem to be hanging from chains, I do not see where the friction is coming from.  Maybe some one else here can see it but I do not.

Now a proper weight distributing hitch will reduce yaw (sway) in a trailer, but I feel that more is needed -- something that will oppose lateral movement of the trailer.

Maybe someone else here has a better informed opinion on your choice.

I found a Reese Hitch that is both anti sway and WD. IT's called a "Straight Line Hitch" the reese product number 66073 (if you are able to find it) According to Reese it is both WD and anti sway and the only one. I can't seem to find in on their website. The RV dealer that I'm purchasing my TT through can order this for me.

Unless I hear otherwise from you (or other Rvers) I'll get this one.

Bea

edited to add that I found informatio on this hitch online

http://www.reese-hitches.com/straight_line_hitch_wd.htm

According to the link in your message, the Strait-line incorporates Reese's Dual Cam system for sway control, which is a proven design.  I'd say it's likely a good solution for you.

CdnBea said:
I found a Reese Hitch that is both anti sway and WD. IT's called a "Straight Line Hitch" the reese product number 66073 (if you are able to find it) According to Reese it is both WD and anti sway and the only one. I can't seem to find in on their website. The RV dealer that I'm purchasing my TT through can order this for me.

Unless I hear otherwise from you (or other Rvers) I'll get this one.

Bea

edited to add that I found informatio on this hitch online

http://www.reese-hitches.com/straight_line_hitch_wd.htm

That would appear to be the baby.  Enjoy.  Don't forget the 36" piece of 3/4" GI pipe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom