We Be Newbies - Have Question Already

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MM Mobile

Hello

My man and I are about to set out for 6-12 months of RV'ing in our 1996 Monaco.? Leaving in two weeks for Arizona, then Washington state with a short stop in Salt Lake City to see my youngest, on to South Dakota for residency items and then to Ohio for a Cobra show and race track driving.? We're new at this, but have been living in the motor home for four months now in preparation for our extended sabbatical.? We're 38' long and will be towing a 24' trailer containing the newly finished kit car - Cobra, the motorcycle, bicycles, tools . . . all the "man stuff."? I guess the inside here is all the "woman stuff."? At the moment we are residing in San Jose at a mobile home park and were staying here until all work obligations had been taken care of and final arrangements are made.? On the 15th, after a BBQ with my oldest, his wife and my grandson, we will be leaving for Arizona.?

One immediate problem I was hoping someone might have help for . . . our cat has adjusted well to the RV, but becomes a nervous wreck while moving and/or running the generator.? Mike believes she should find her own spot in the RV to hide and I am wondering if putting her in her travel box might work better for her.? Yesterday on returning from an autocross in A****er, CA, she ended up laying on the bottom step to the door meowing piteously on occasion.? Talk about a guilt trip!? Does anyone have any experience to pass on or suggestions to make?? She's about 12 years old and I'd sure like to keep her if possible.?

Also, any suggestions for riding into the sun and staying cool?? It's a 1996 after all and lacks some of the newer amenities, like electric sun visors.? Sigh!? Can't have everything, I guess.?

Thanks and I hope to be chatting with many of you.? All if my fingers hold out.?

Margo
Mike . . . aka MM Mobile

Mike & Margo

Can't help with the cats, but there are a lot members who will chime in, I'm sure. For the heat while driving, try running your generator and your roof A/Cs. That will give you more cooling than the dash a/c and your engine will run cooler.

Have fun at Mid-Ohio. Nice track.

Hi Margo (and Mike)!

Cats are a lot like people - some take to change without skipping a heartbeat, while others never quite get used to it. One of my cats wandered around while travelling; the other planted himself under the passenger seat while moving. My new cat has always lived in the MH and does whatever he pleases including riding in my lap or on the dashboard, sleeping wherever, or helping me drive - yes, he puts his paws on the steering wheel while standing on my lap. He wants to 'solo' in the worst way, but is too young for a license. ;D

I would recommend against a cat carrier as it may be looked on as a form of punishment. Try putting a favorite blanket or towel on the floor (seat, bed... whatever) and place her on it and give a couple of treats at the same time. Lavish lots of praise, and spend some play time there too.  If that doesn't work, she'll just find her own place to hide for the duration - as she does on the step. Make sure food and water are always available and in the same place; same with the litterbox.

Mike, are you planning on coming to RA for the BRIC or SVRA or Northwoods Cobra Club? Would love to see the 'snake' :)

Bernie,

The contract with Mid-Ohio ran out last year, so the Run-Off's will be held at Heartland Park, Topeka this year. Road America underwent some dramatic changes over the winter. The Competition Paddock and South Paddock have been greatly expanded, added a new medical building, and opened up lots of new spectator areas. Don't know how long the contract is for the Run-Off's at Heartland, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at RA in the not-too-distant future.

Karl's advice re the cat is good. He/she will have to find some space to be comfortable (or least miserable) in. If it is used to a carrier, leave the carrier out (door open) and see if it will settle in there on its own. Familiar things are the most comforting to a cat, especially an older one.

Our cat rides underneath the sofa now. It used to ride out in the open with us, but once some items fell from an overhead compartment and nearly hit the poor cat, so he decided he wanted a bomb shelter after that!

You may have to endure piteous howls for some time, until it decides they do no good and it may as well suffer in silence. Hope for your sake it doesn't take too long.

Karl said:
The contract with Mid-Ohio ran out last year, so the Run-Off's will be held at Heartland Park, Topeka this year. Road America underwent some dramatic changes over the winter. The Competition Paddock and South Paddock have been greatly expanded, added a new medical building, and opened up lots of new spectator areas. Don't know how long the contract is for the Run-Off's at Heartland, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at RA in the not-too-distant future.

Karl

Mike had mentioned going to Ohio for a Cobra event. Would have loved to have stopped at RA for the Vintage races but just won't do the swing around Chicago to Michigan.

Hi Margo,

We have a cat that travels with us in the MH.  He hides when we travel--in fact as soon as he hears the keys rattle he takes off to his hidy-hole.  And where is that?

Well our mattress overhangs the supporting arrangement; we make sure that the blanket and comforter hangs over the front and his side of the bed; this makes for a tunnel that he enters to find his spot.  His spot, on the floor under that overhang, is equipped with tow or three towels that have his scent on them.  He's always comfortable there.

But does that mean there are never any piteous meows?  No, we get them.  He's diabetic and hence is always hungry.  If he get a snack attack while we ar in motion, he comes up into the cockpit area and does a bit of a guilt number on us.  But we're never in a dreadful hurry--300km in a day is a pretty big day for us--so we pull over at the next opportunity and we all have a break with a snack.  After that he usually goes back to his hidy hole as we set off again.

When we are at rest, he commands the dash at dawn and dusk to watch birds and whatever creepy crawlies are about; at other time when we are not in motion, his favourite place is on the back of the couch looking out of those windows; he'll even go back to the hidy-hole when he's had enough of us and wants some peace and quiet.

Ciao,

Doug

Margo - We are just starting to enjoy our new Monaco Diplomat and take our two miniature schnauzers with us. You didn't mention if you have slideouts, but if you do, make sure you know where your  cat is when you move them in or out. I read a letter to the editor of one of the magazines recently in which the lady told of having crushed their cat to death when moving a slideout. They couldn't find the cat for quite a while and when they did find it it was too late. If we did that to one of our "children" I'm afraid neither of us could ever use the RV again.

Back
Top Bottom