We made our first TT trip and lived

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpydawg

We didn't destroy the state park.? We didn't run over anything.? No bystanders were killed and TV and TT look the same as when we left the house.? I didn't murder my husband and visa versa.? ?I'd say it was a success!? ;)? ?Actually.....when I could get my husband to stop fretting about all the "stuff" we have to learn and be responsible for......we had a good time.? I'm sure he'll calm down a little more with each successive trip.? I did notice that his shoulders were not quite as close to his ears on the drive home.? ?
I have a few questions that I'm hoping you kind people will be able to answer.? ? In our walks through the park we noticed many people using orange or yellow Lego type levelers.? I've since seen them called EZ levelers on-line.? What is your opinion of these as opposed to 2x4 pieces of wood etc?? It rained several days of our stay.....soaking our wood....and the thought of plastic levelers (which could be dried off for stowing) sure seemed like a nice idea.? Also.....we saw one trailer using those levelers on only one wheel......with the other (duel) axle and wheel dangling......is that good?????
We used this trip to sift through and read all the paperwork and booklets that came with the TT.? It wasn't until day three that we read we were NOT supposed to be using our water pump if we were hooked up to park water supply.? That freaked us.? We turned it off.? Then were were left to wonder if we had been using only water from our fresh water tank or park and tank water?? The fresh water level indicator hadn't changed.? We were clueless.? And now we had no water pressure, so we unhooked from the park water.....turned the pump back on and quit worrying about it.? We thought that when we dropped the trailer off for servicing the next day (found a leak).....we'd find out the answer.? Not.? The person who took possession of our trailer couldn't tell us anything.? ? PDI walk-through guy told us to buy a pressure regulator for use at water hook ups.? We had that between the park water and our hose.? If there was not enough water coming through....without using the water pump......does that mean it was safe to remove that regulator and just using the park water pressure and no pump?? Are there regulators that allow you to adjust the flow?? Ours didn't and the park water seemed to blast out of the park faucet so strongly that we were afraid to not use the regulator thing.? I'm comfusing the heck out of you aren't I?? :mad:  ?Sorry.? If anyone at all understood what I'm saying.......thanks in advance for any advice.? -Deb

Deb

Congratulations on your successful firt trip.

The choice of plastic vs wood blocks is a matter of personal preference. I carry 2"x8" wood blocks for the jacks on our motorhome and 2"x12" for the occasions I need blocks under the wheels. In the case of duallies, both wheels should be supported although, as you saw, many people don't do that.

I'm not sure why they'd say the water pump should not be on when connected to city water. It should be automatic. i.e. the pump should only run if there's insufficient flow from city water. It's best to keep the regulator on the hose rather than risk damage to your plumbing, unless you know for sure the park has low water pressure. I've been in parks where the pressure was low and my pump was making up the difference when, for example, we'd take a shower. In those cases, I just top off the water tank periodically and don't worry about it.

Congratulations Deb.  I remember our first outing also.  It was to a local place where we owned property, but they had three hookups for RV's.  Water and electricity only, with a dump station just down the road.  We were full of doubts and anxiety, but it was fantastic.  Now we're hooked, and while we feel more like pros, we still learn stuff every time we go out.

Interesting topic about the water pump.  We've never even used ours yet (the pump or the fresh water tank).  Which brings up another question.  Is the water pump one of those things where "if you don't use it, it will break?" (you know, like a generator where you should run it once a month if you don't use it regularly)?  I mean, we've never even put fresh water in our holding tank yet.  We've always hooked up to park water.  Now that being said, at some point, we're going to have to fill and wash the tank for a planned trip to a family reunion next year (I've seen the topic for first time use and all).  But until then, we have no plans for camping anywhere where there is no park water.  Will this non-use be bad for the pump?

Congratulations on your first trip.  The plastic level blocks are lighter than wood blocks but either will do the job.  We carry some wood pads I made to put under our jacks when needed to keep them from sinking in soft ground or to protect pavement if needed.

Your water pump when the switch is on operates based on pressure in the system. When you turn the water on the pump runs because the pressure in the water system has dropped thus providing a steady flow of water.  When connected to campground water the water pressure is usually higher than the pressure level that turns the pump on thus normally the pump never runs.  If the campground water pressure is low or the flow is so low that an acceptable pressure is not present then the water pump will run if turned on.  We have been in some campgrounds that even though the static water pressure was high enough with no water turned on in the rig the flow available was to low and he pressure would drop when ever the shower was turned on.  In these cases we tune the pump on so we have adequate pressure and flow while showering.

Best to use the regulator unless you know for sure the water pressure never goes too high..  We are currently in a campground in SLC that the water pressure has been known to go above 100 PSI enough to really cause problems in an RV water system.  A couple years ago at this same park I witnessed a fellow connecting his regulator at the connection on the motorhome instead of at the faucet.  Wasn't long and a small versions of old faithful was erupting when his hose split.  I had warned him that it might happen if he didn't put the regulator at the faucet end but he learned the hard way.

Ok thanks for the info.  Plastic levelers are ok.......regulator should always be in place.......pump can be on.  Got it.    I'm still a little fuzzy on the park water/fresh water tank thing.  When hooked up to water.......are we drawing from both or does the park water somehow by-pass the fresh water tank to get to the faucets?    We also had one of those in-line water filter things connected.  Did that further reduce the water pressure coming from the park?    I know I sound stupid here but I never really understood what the PDI guy told us about the water going into the trailer.  On the service side of the TT.....we hook that white hose up to the park faucet and then to the TT.  BUT.....he also said that on the opposite side of the trailer......the fresh water opening.......we're NEVER supposed to touch the hose to that opening because we would contaminate our fresh water tank.  We're just supposed to let the water flow in.  Now I'm missing something here because I don't understand how connecting the hose on one side (the hose touches the connection).......can be ok but NOT ok on the other side of the TT.  Isn't the water ending up in the same tank??  I'm just not understanding I guess.

It is my understanding that when hooked up to a water supply, the water by-passes the fresh water tank.  If the water pressure from the camp line is low, and the pump is turned on, the pump will supplement with water from the fresh water tank.  I don't believe the pump will  pump water from the hose or camp side.  You should always try to keep your hose inlet and outlet clean.  When I remove my hose, I generally screw the ends of the hose together to prevent anything getting into the hose while in storage or traveling.

The purpose of the pressure regulator, always installed at the inlet to your supply hose, is to reduce camp water pressure to an acceptable level. In most cases, even this reduced pressure is higher than the pressure supplied by the pump.  The only time I've found camp pressure to be low, it was because I had a kinked hose.  Once I got rid of the hose kink, no pressure problems. But as others have stated, they did experience lower camp pressure and turned on their pumps to provide a pressure boost.

Always use a water pressure regulator, it's the safest thing to do. Keep in mind, however, that it is possible for these fixed regulators to get clogged up after a while and instead of 40 psi pressure you may be getting something less.  I recently bought a Watts H560G adjustable pressure regulator from Camping World. Not only is it adjustable, but it also has a pressure guage and it can be taken apart and cleaned. Costs a little more but I think worth it. Some have found the same guage at other places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc but after 6 months of looking and stopping at hardware stores all over the country without success, I finally broke down and got it from Camping World. Was $44 I think but worth it considering the number of replacement cheap water pressure valves I have bought over the years.

hpydawg,
While I'm not an expert at most things, I am an expert on my TT so I'll tell you how mine works and maybe some of it will apply to yours as well.
My city water hookup is a hose connection that is plumbed directly to the water lines in the trailer. I have a house type regulator that I permanently? installed inside the trailer after getting tired of the trickle shower caused by poor waterflow through the little brass regulator we all start out with. Now I'm protected from high pressure and the large diameter flowpath through the regulator keeps the flow rate high. I replaced the El Cheapo Deluxo hose with a high pressure industrial quality hose with a sediment filter in line. This traps any crud in the park's water line and believe me, there's plenty of that. I have a second filter under the sink with charcoal cartridges to remove taste and odor from the drinking water.
The other water connection is the one going to my fresh water holding tank. The city water line and the holding tank are isolated and "never the twain shall meet." My water pump has a pickup line directly to the holding tank. This tank can get pretty gross if you don't keep the fill area clean and cycle water through it occasionally but using chlorinated water and a semi-occasional sanitizing keep it working fine. I know it's hard to believe but a significant number of RV salespeople have never been in the woods so take their advice with caution. I don't know anybody who stands there and holds the hose while filling the fresh water holding tank. Get yourself one of these:]http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=594&src=SRQB
I use wood blocks because I had the wood. The wood is heavy, it gets waterlogged and I have been known to overlook a block or two in the grass when boonedocking. I'm going to get the Playschool Leveling Blocks unless I can find the airbags I saw last summer. (Anyone know where I can find them?)
And last, you don't sound stupid. You are asking questions to gain an understanding about a subject that you have little experience with. That sounds smart to me.
Q

You happen to be in luck Q.  The website I discovered just yesterday just happened to have a link to the Level-Air airbag levelers.  Very cool.  Here they are:  http://www.levelair.com/pages/1/index.htm

Here's the link to the site I got that link from  Very cool site!:  http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html

Again...thanks so much for the information.  I think I understand now.  The city/park water doesn't enter the fresh water holding tank.....but if you use the pump while hooked up to city/park water......it draws from the fresh water tank.  Right?  lol 
Those air bag levelers intrique me.  Sure seem like they could be way easier....not so much trial and error.  Wonder if the correction might need to be higher than they can go though on occasion??  Would it be prudent to have the plastic levelers along in addition even if one had the airbags?? 

hpydawg said:
Wonder if the correction might need to be higher than they can go though on occasion??? Would it be prudent to have the plastic levelers along in addition even if one had the airbags???

Seems like I read that if you needed to go higher than the bags will go, you need to find more level ground.  I would tend to agree with that.  I usually carry two 2 X 8 lengths of board, which will lift my trailer 4 inches if I have to use them both.  It may not sound like much, but that's a pretty good amount.  I've never had to use more than though.  Unless you're boondocking, most parks are pretty level.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping you kind people will be able to answer.    In our walks through the park we noticed many people using orange or yellow Lego type levelers.  I've since seen them called EZ levelers on-line.  What is your opinion of these as opposed to 2x4 pieces of wood etc? 

Greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread!  They are light easy to store, don't absorb moisture, easy to clean, and pack tidily in a zippered bag.  We have two 10-piece bags of them and use them constantly for leveling, step bracing, and even on occasion stabilizer-jack pads.  The two bags will, with judicious placement, allow a rise of three courses on a tandem axle.  That said we do carry simliarly sized 12"wooden blocks for the hitch jack. 

BTW we rarely use three courses, if two cannot give you approximate level reposition the trailer.  Or get a new site.

We were clueless.  And now we had no water pressure, so we unhooked from the park water.....turned the pump back on and quit worrying about it.  We thought that when we dropped the trailer off for servicing the next day (found a leak).....we'd find out the answer.  Not.  The person who took possession of our trailer couldn't tell us anything.    PDI walk-through guy told us to buy a pressure regulator for use at water hook ups.  We had that between the park water and our hose.  If there was not enough water coming through....without using the water pump......does that mean it was safe to remove that regulator and just using the park water pressure and no pump?  Are there regulators that allow you to adjust the flow?  Ours didn't and the park water seemed to blast out of the park faucet so strongly that we were afraid to not use the regulator thing. 

Carl, we stopped and picked up one of those 10 piece bags.  Loved them.  It was so nice to clean and dry them before stowing.  We're going to get another set just in case.  Kind of wish they made some that were half as think......for fine tuning. 

edjunior said:
You happen to be in luck Q.? The website I discovered just yesterday just happened to have a link to the Level-Air airbag levelers.? Very cool.? Here they are:? http://www.levelair.com/pages/1/index.htm

Here's the link to the site I got that link from? Very cool site!:? http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html

Question:  How does one inflate those airbags?

hpydawg said:
Carl, we stopped and picked up one of those 10 piece bags.? ?Loved them.? It was so nice to clean and dry them before stowing.? We're going to get another set just in case.? Kind of wish they made some that were half as think......for fine tuning.?

Two sets are ideal for a tandem wheel trailer.  Remember to set the wheels squarely on the blocks -- do not let the tire tread lap off the block either laterally or fore or aft.  Not good for the tires otherwise.

BTW to answer the last requote in my original message, get and use a pressure regulator --- your trailer is designed for a standard 45 psi.    I have been in parks (Salt Lake City) where the line pressure was over 100 psi !  Your failure to get water pressure from a city water hookup is odd.  If the phenomenon persists, get it repaired by the dealer.  Make him demonstrate that the city water hook up works as it should irregardless of any pressure regulators.

Carl Lundquist said:
Question:? ?How does one inflate those airbags?
Carl,

I read somewhere where one guy used a foot pump.  If one had a 12V air pump, I suspect it would work pretty dang good as well.

Deb:

Thanks much for your post.? It brought back many fond memories.? My first big trip was in the summer of 2003 when I took a ten week trip pulling a 30 foot trailer and my dog as co-pilot.? I learned a lot of things the hard way LOL!

I like those orange levelers better than wood blocks.? They are a very uniform system and when used per the directions, you have a sort of ramp to drive up on.

On the new motorhome with self leveling, we do not use them as levelers, but sometimes use them as "pads" to protect asphalt or avoid sinking into soft ground.

Have fun!? RVing is the best possible life!? ?;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom