Weather Alert Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonshine Kids

Hi,  Does anyone know of a good weather alert radio?  After the tornado's that ripped through Florida last night we decided we really need to get something that can be used as we travel.  In some info on line it appears you need to set codes as to where you are located which sounds like a lot of trouble as you travel around. however we thought we had heard of something where you don't have to set anything but where it actually knows where you are and gives you local weather forecasts pinpointing your location as you move around.  Any information on these radios and especially ones with good features would really be appreciated.  Thanks.

Yes, we have a Radio Shack weather radio that works great while traveling and you don't need to set codes.  It has seven preprogrammed NOAA channels.  When you get to a new campground, you just move the slider on the back from "operate" to "program" and then use a button on the front to scroll through the seven stations until you find one nearby, after which you move the program slider back to it's operating position.  Usually there are only one or two stations.  Last year we were driving through a dicey area and I brought it up to the front of the motorhome and plugged it in.  Occasionally changed the dial as we drove out of one area and into another.  Between it and the CB's weather channels we were pretty well covered.  The nice feature on the Radio Shack model is that you can set it to alert you in case there's a problem.  Sometimes it can get irritating when it awakens you during the night with it's piercing tone, but then that's what you have it for.  :D :D

It also runs on battery if the power goes down.  When we first got the radio I too thought you had to set codes so I went into the NOAA web site and printed them out for each state, only to find they're not needed.  Also, did you know Amber Alerts are now among the items broadcast on the weather radio?  I was surprised to hear one come on one day.  Considering that campgrounds have a transient population and are good hiding places for snatched children, that's a good idea.

The radio we have cost in the neighborhood of $40-50 and I've bought several.  The first one was for my sister who lives in both a hurricane and tornado area.  She liked hers so much I bought one for the motorhome (I hate driving across Tornado Alley).  You definitely want the kind that has the alert, rather than a straight radio like on the CB.  That way you can turn off the sound at night but leave it on standby so that if something happens the alert comes on.

I definitely would recommend the Radio Shack product and the price is reasonable.  They make great gifts if you have someone who lives in a bad-weather-prone area.

ArdraF

If you go online to google search and type in NOOA RADIO, you will find many places and types of emergency NOOA radios at various prices there is a good selection.

stef1435 said:
If you go online to google search and type in NOOA RADIO, you will find many places and types of emergency NOOA radios at various prices there is a good selection.
I'm thinking that should be "NOAA" 

Radio Shack has the best selection. Get one that automatically scans for the nearest NOAA station and is programmable for the alerts you want to get. Mine is a SAME Weather Radio with PC interface. Radio Shack model 12-258. Whatever, get one that alerts.

I just ordered the Midland WR-300 from Amazon for $53 with free shipping.  It appears to be highly rated by owners.  Amazon was a hair cheaper than Newegg on the shipped price.

Thank you so much for all the information.  Can they also be programmed to alert you for special things such as tornados, but have other alerts turned off?  Don't know if that's practical or not but thought you might not need flood warnings if you are in a higher area etc. 

Radio Shack sells a very nice one made by Midland, It is portable (Belt clip and battery powered) eats batteries though.  I have one

They also sell a 120vac powered desk top with clock.

You can also find Midland products in many other places.

Scanners can be set to pick up Weather Radio... But you have to know the frequency and they don't alert.

The radios can be set to alert for fire, flood, ice, tornado, huricanne, high wind and a host of other dangers.

They can be programmed with your area code so that you are not bothered by alerts for other areas and the portable ones can be set to "ALL" as an area as well... When you travel  (Don't know about the desktops)

IN addition to Radio Shack, I would expect to see them in large department stores,  Sams, Costco and the like but to be honest have not looked. 

Go to www.radioshack.com and in the search box on the page type "weather" and two pop up quickly.

NOTE: In many states there is a network of voulenteer, trained, weather spotters.. It is called SKY WARN.  IN these states deaths due to tornados are rare.  IN a few states politicians have decided "We don't need no steenking sky warn voulenteers" and/or "We don't need no steenking sirens" Floridia said both.  Far as I'm concerned those 14 dead are criminal neglent homicide.  Yup Murder.  cause they very clearly DO need Skywarn and they very clearly DO need sirens.  else they would not have all those funerals this week.

John In Detroit said:
[snip]
NOTE: In many states there is a network of voulenteer, trained, weather spotters.. It is called SKY WARN.  IN these states deaths due to tornados are rare.  IN a few states politicians have decided "We don't need no steenking sky warn voulenteers" and/or "We don't need no steenking sirens" Floridia said both.   Far as I'm concerned those 14 dead are criminal neglent homicide.  Yup Murder.  cause they very clearly DO need Skywarn and they very clearly DO need sirens.  else they would not have all those funerals this week.

I believe that Florida does have emergency weather spotters.  I listen to our local NOAA weather radio forecast every morning.  Years of listening have burned this typical statement into my brain:  "Spotter information statement:  Spotter activation is not required today."  Of course, there are days when it is required and then they give the particulars as to what they should be looking for.

The "Spotter activation" message is part of the NOAA format, weather there are spotters or not.

Florida does not have a tornado warning system in place, thus they have killer tornados.  You can have one or the other,  In theory you can have both, but as it turns out when you have the spotter/warning system in place.  Deaths due to tornados go way down.

OF course, you can still have spotters. I mean, wherever I am there is a trained weather spotter (Even if I have no one to report to) but without a warning system... Why have spotters?

States that have spotters and warning systems have few deaths due to tornados.

States that do NOT, ... .Well, death toll is often quite high.   

One reason for this is that some states train their police, (And some don't but still) and thus rely on the police to spot weather.  (Even if not trained) well, Officer O'Mally sees a tornado, radios his dispatcher, who notifies his commander in the dispatch center, who drafts a message to headquarters, who tears it off the printer and carries it to their commander who drafts a message to the local county who then tear it off and take it to their commander who then dispatch a deputy to verify the state trooper's sighting and then the alarms go off... Of course a dozen people died in that half hour.

With weather spotters I, or someone like me spots a tornado, another confirms it, it's sent to NOAA within the minute, not within the hour but within the minute and less than a minute later the alarms are going off,  2-3 minuters v/s 20-30 minutes.  Makes a whole lot of difference

But of course Florida does not have the alarms either... Unless you go out and buy your own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom