Webber Q1000 Question #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

For all you Webber Q1000 users on the road.
These grills get dirty. The greasier the food the dirtier they get. Here at the sticks&bricks I can bring the grates inside and wash in the sink.
The base is a bit different. Once it has been scraped down it should be washed. A bit cumbersome to do but doable in the back yard. Also that greasy black water from the grates has to go somewhere. The woods out back is good for that since the septic system shouldn't get too much grease.

But once on the road how do you handle this chore? No doubt the campground owners frown on you doing this on campsite or in their bathroom/shower area. And polluting the local stream or river with cooking grease is a big no-no. How do you folks get around this?
Thanks
Jim

I've never washed the base while on the road. Once or twice a year with a pressure washer is good enough.

I use steam to clean the grates on my Weber Q and big grill at home, without removing them. After cooking, allow the grill to cool down then scrape off any food. Fire the grill back up and let it get hot, then use soaking wet paper towels to wipe down the hot grate. The water turns to steam, and food wipes right off.

Grill brushes will shed little pieces of the metal brush, so I don't use one.

Thanks Happy
That sounds doable, thank you!
I don't use grill brushes either because of the metal shedding. I do use grill brushes that have a scotch-brite pad. They work well but are hard to find.
Although they don't recommend using on a hot surface they work fine IMHO. When washing the grates in the sink I use a scrub brush that has plastic bristles.
I will try the steam trick.
Thanks!

I use a grill mat that was purchased at an RV show in Tampa. Got two for $10 and am still using the first one two years later. It keeps all the grease and uneaten food on the mat instead of the grill as long as the Weber is level while you're using it. After it cools off enough to take it off the grill, I wash it in the sink and it's ready for the next use. It will still put grill marks on your food, just as though you were cooking straight on the grill. The only problem I have found when using it is that it will throw off your thermometer reading because the heat is being trapped underneath it. To avoid that, I keep it off the grill while preheating and put it on just before throwing on my food. That way, I can get a decently accurate reading on how hot the grill is.

Because of this, I have not cleaned my grill in two years that I've had it. I bought a dozen grease catcher trays when I bought the Weber and am still using the first one.

We line the bottom of our Weber Q with aluminum foil and change it out every few months. Makes clean up much easier.

Washing the grates of the grill is like washing a seasoned cast iron skillet.  As long as it was seasoned correctly to begin with, it's not necessary.  My cleaning method is to heat the grill hot, burn off the food, and scrape with a grill brush.  As far as cleaning the base, every couple of months or so, I use a plastic putty knife to scrape the sides into the drip pan, swap out the drip pan, and I'm ready to go.  This was the recommended method by Weber, and it seems to work well for me.

My DW picked up a piece of plastic made especially for grills. It works great. I usually just wipe off the excess grease, then wash it in the sink after all the dishes are done.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heavy-Duty-Non-Stick-Reusable-BBQ-Grill-Mat-Set-of-2/186157909?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2857&adid=22222222227050435546&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=147495078237&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-260708231980&wl5=9012162&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113146108&wl11=online&wl12=186157909&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9mO_7O45gIVUB-tBh35EgWaEAQYAyABEgLOlfD_BwE

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom