weboost Home Room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

We are looking at cell boosters. The weboost Home Room looked like it fits for an rv.

Thoughts?

How have you routed the cable to the outside antenna?

We are dedicating a couple of the cabinets above the sofa in the rear for electronics.

We also want a cell to WiFi router. Will the weboost work with it?

So many questions...

Thank you.

Don't waste your time with the WeBoost Destination RV. Total crap. I spent probably 6 or 7 hours this weekend trying to get it to work...lights were on and everything...pointing in the right direction. No boost at all...nothing. Keep in mind, while I'm not an engineer, I was a Satellite Communications Tech in the Navy and I worked for a local cable company for a while so...I'm not completely clueless about this kind of stuff. Steer clear of the WeBoost Destination RV. Just my 2 cents. Luckily, still in the 30 day money back no questions window...so...sending it back.

People often expect miracles from these boosters but it rarely happens. Too many differing reasons why cell service is unusable and a booster amp/antenna can only do so much. Naturally, the advertising way over-promises what can be delivered. We carried a Wilson (now WeBoost) home/office system for several years and in only a few places did it make a night vs day difference. In really bad areas it only made the service good enough to be frustrating.

If you are camped at extreme range from a cell tower and the signal is just weak, an antenna and amp can do a lot. But if the problem is the intervening terrain or buildings or electrical interference or simply overloaded towers, it's not going to make things notably better.

The inside antenna for the booster is also a limitation in an RV. They can't pump a lot of power inside without causing other sigal issues, but the interior of an RV doesn't lend itself to a nicely distributed signal at low power. You often end up have to sit next to the antenna with your phone or tablet.

People often expect miracles from these boosters but it rarely happens. Too many differing reasons why cell service is unusable and a booster amp/antenna can only do so much. Naturally, the advertising way over-promises what can be delivered. We carried a Wilson (now WeBoost) home/office system for several years and in only a few places did it make a night vs day difference. In really bad areas it only made the service good enough to be frustrating.

If you are camped at extreme range from a cell tower and the signal is just weak, an antenna and amp can do a lot. But if the problem is the intervening terrain or buildings or electrical interference or simply overloaded towers, it's not going to make things notably better.

The inside antenna for the booster is also a limitation in an RV. They can't pump a lot of power inside without causing other sigal issues, but the interior of an RV doesn't lend itself to a nicely distributed signal at low power. You often end up have to sit next to the antenna with your phone or tablet.
As usual...you are correct Gary. I was trying it out at my house. We are in a bit of a dead zone...I'm lucky to get 2 bars. After some research, I learned that the bars on a cell phone are BS. But I also learned that...the iPhone has what's called "Field Test Mode". You access this mode by entering / calling *3001#12345#*. Pay attention to the line Rsrp0. There should be a negative number. -50 means you have a GREAT signal and -120 means you pretty much have a useless signal. As you can see from the attached pic...my current signal strength sitting in my living room is -119. It typically varies between -90 to useless. Now...I do have to admit that I'm still a bit baffled about this whole thing. The Field Test states my signal is pretty much useless but...when I run the Speed Test by Ookla I get 25.8 down and 4.65 up...which is not bad.

FYI: You'll see Rsrp0 and Rsrp1 - they are both antennas on your device but...the Rsrp0 is the strongest.

The bottom line is this. I purchased this booster...the WeBoost Destination RV and paid nearly $700 for it (it has a giant telescopic arm that will expand like...30 feet in the air - I'm sure my neighbors think I'm spying on them since my wifi names are FBI Surveillance Van 1 and 2...lol). The advertisement for it stated that it would enhance the signal by...I forget the exact number but...something link...50 or 60 dbms. So...I was expecting some serious juice. I got absolutely nothing...it didn't have any effect on my signal in my RV and was very finicky keeping the amp in the green light zone. I will admit...if I literally set my cell phone on the inside antenna...it would increase my dbms like5 or so but when I'd take it off...nothing.

So...there you have it. I'm still searching and if I find something...I'll report back.

Attachments

• FTM.PNG
    FTM.PNG
    160.7 KB · Views: 2
Oh...FYI...I posted my scathing review on WeBoosts site for the Destination RV and...it hasn't shown up and I posted it a couple days ago. So...we'll see if they post it.

I just came up for air after working nearly 7 days a week since March to get the house ready for sale. Now we need a good internet connection and WiFi in the trailer.
I have been looking at Peplink home/office models.
I am torn between WiFi as Wan vs Cellular as Wan models. One WiFi as Wan model has USB & Ethernet as Wan connectors as well. Would plugging in an iPhone (lightning to USB cable) work?
We have unlimited data plans for Verizon & T-mobile with my iPad being the 2nd Verizon and a iPhone SE as 2nd T-mobile lines.
I don’t need built in Lan WiFi as I might put an access point outside of the cabinets the devices live in. I guess (but don’t know) I can turn off the router WiFi and connect to the wired lan and access point.

whew

advice or suggestions?
thank you

We've pretty much stopped using our Maximum Signal Max Amp cell booster/repeater in favor of a dual Yagi directional MIMO antenna pair mounted above our Winegar Sensar OTA antenna for our hotspots. The MIMO set has almost consistently gotten better levels than the booster at a third of the price.

I bought a budget signal booster which had a lot of reviews and good ratings.

I am convinced it is not about how much you spend for a booster. It's about getting a boostable signal in the first place.

I am currently trying to figure out my best strategy and have 2 services running right now on 2 devices - AT&T Unlimited and Verizon unlimited.

I also have Wifi in the park so basically have 3 choices right now.

The following might be a bit boring but bottom line is that right here, right now. Verizon is providing the best coverage and the booster is have pretty much zero impact. I could argue that with the booster on, the phone is "trying" to use LTE+ and with the current signal it actual performs worse that straight LTE for some reason.

Booster on

Verizon
Bars - 2-3
Signal type - LTE+
Signal - Average -114, frequent -93, occasional -50
Latency 76 ms
Download 14gb/s
Upload 13gb/s
Tower - 1 mile northeast through cover

AT&T
Bars 1-2
Signal type - LTE (not plus)
Signal - Average -110, Occasional -100, frequent -120
Latency - 86ms
Download - 692kbs
Upload - 42kbs
Tower - 1 mile northeast through tree cover

Booster Off

Verizon
Bars 2-3
Signal - Average -91, very stable
Latency - 67ms
Download - 29mb/s
Upload - 12mb/s
Tower - 2 towers getting hit - 1 mile and 2 miles northeast alternating

AT&T
Bars 1-2
Signal - Average -117 pretty stable
Latency - 84ms
Download - 1.4mb/s
Upload - 796kb/s
Tower - 1 mile northeast through tree cover

We would like to be able to have either cellular as wan or WiFi as wan though just cellular might be fine.
Peplink has a WiFi as wan unit that can also use USB as wan.
I am assuming (yes, bad idea) that connecting a phone to that USB port would let both of us access the internet (iPad & mac each)?
Kevin Means, are you still here? Any advice?

what does all y’all do?

I think a mobile router (cellular to Lan/WiFi) is what I want.

It will be used on T-Mobile Most of the time but the ability to use a Verizon sim when there is no T-Mobile service Would be good.

There doesn’t seem to be many that do T-Mobile & Verizon.

I found one from MoFi and I think Peplink has one also. I have not heard of MoFi before.

What is everyone using for internet on the road?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom