Weigh Stations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedsToy

Gotta ask? When you own a motorhome, do you have to pull into weigh stations in any state?

The short answer is no, as long as you are using it as a private vehicle. If you are using it as a business vehicle then YES you do, an example of this may be a semi-professional race car driver, or bass tournament fisherman drives a motorhome to events and the motorhome is owned by an LLC, corporation, etc. for tax reasons. These people often get caught because their RV's tend to be plastered with sponsor logos.

The only time I tried to enter scales (because I was unsure), I heard a loud "RV keep going!".

When you own a motorhome, do you have to pull into weigh stations in any state?
Not only do you not have to go into the weigh stations or ports of entry, in most cases they get unhappy if you do so. The commercial drivers who deliver new RVs do have to stop in those places as they are commercial.

Private vehicles, no.
I just saw a weigh station sign that said that "Recreational Vehicles Exempt".
It was either in Nebraska or Colorado last week.
I thought it was courteous for the state to say so on their hwy sign.
In the late 80s or early 90's with my 1st 5th wheel I pulled into a weigh station in Florida and he was waving me through before I got to the booth šŸ˜Ž

Speaking of signs I saw what I thought was a strange one driving into New Mexico from Texas a couple of days ago, it said that rental vehicles must stop.

Hmmm, that is an odd one.
Maybe they meant commercial rentals...
I was very surprised to see weigh stations called "Port of Entry", either in Washington or Idaho.

Speaking of signs I saw what I thought was a strange one driving into New Mexico from Texas a couple of days ago, it said that rental vehicles must stop.
That started after a rental truck full of explosives was used to blow up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

After my mom died in early 2015 I went down to Florida to pick up some stuff from her house. I rented a Uhaul truck aNF took off on I-95 North. Iā€™m not sure why but I Rembrandt pulling into a weigh station. They weighed me, gave me a thumbs up and sent me on my way.

Gotta ask? When you own a motorhome, do you have to pull into weigh stations in any state?
Yes! But it was many years ago in some Midwest state where the sign said (IIRC) "All vehicles over 6,000 lbs must be weighted". It was the only place I have seen such, but I cannot remember what state, perhaps Iowa or around there?

See here for more info.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Many years ago I got turned around by the RCMP and sent back to the scales, I got waved through so pulled over and went inside. When asked what the problem was I replied ask him pointing to the LEO. The weighmaster agreed I was likely overloaded but not his problem as I was not a commercial carrier.

Sorry in advance for the thread drift but what about agricultural stops?

I am used to California where the stops blockade the whole road but here in Florida there are a couple of "pull out" stops near me. I've never stopped and never been chased but I was wondering about RVs.

It's clearly marked Trucks and Trailers. I even drove past in a U-haul and didn't get chased.

Back
Top Bottom