Weighing Travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishspike

looking at weighing travel trailer at truck stop. Stopped and read the sign. So do I have to put one axel on each pad? Do I have to unhook from truck. Simple and probably not so smart questions. So thanks

Load up the truck and trailer as if you were going on a trip. Full fuel, propane, fresh water however you normally do, etc.

At the truck stop, Stop. Disconnect the weight distribution bars (lay in truck bed or leave them hang). Pull onto the scale. There are three platforms. Your front axle will be on one, the rear axle on another, and the trailer will be on the third platform. When they tell you they have the weights, pull off the scale, to some corner of the lot where you can drop the trailer for a bit, and unhitch. Pull back on the scales and weigh again as before. When you pay and collect the two weigh tickets, first, you will have individual axle weights for front of truck, rear of truck, and trailer, and second, you will have a total weight for the truck and front and rear axle weights for the truck.

Take the second ticket which will have the weight of the truck alone, and take that number and subtract it from the total weight on the first ticket. This will give you the trailer weight.

Then take this trailer weight you arrived at, and subtract the trailer axle weight that is on the first ticket, this will give you the tongue weight of the trailer.

Charles

As a logical alternative find a local DOT acale that is not open. At least in the far west the scales are left on. So you can spend as much time as you want for free. I used to weigh the combo hooked and individually to get accurate numbers.

My version is that instead of pulling out and dropping the trailer, park on the scale so the hitch ball is over the gap between scale segments. Then, after first weight, simply unhitch right there, get a reweigh, the hitch up and get the papers. Saves time.

Also, when they ask, first time, say first weigh. Second, say “re-weigh”. Why? First is about $12 and second is about $4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom