Weight distribution hitch or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillippio

We just got a 2004 259lt (GVWR 6400) Nomad.  We are going to tow it with a 99 expedition.  The tow rating with the tow package is 7900.

What do you folks think?  Weight distribution hitch or not? 

I have towed lots of equipment on trailers and have never had one, and never noticed a need.

Thanks

Phillippio

Hi Phillippio,

Tow rating doesn't really tell you if you need a weight distribution hitch or not. A lot has to do with the suspension of the tow vehicle. I have seen some that are so soft that towing any trailer needs the hitch. Once you have the trailer loaded and hooked up you will know instantly. If it the setup is not level then you definitely need one. I can't remember if it was Ford that had the soft suspension or not. If the experts on towing here don't have the answer I can try to find out for you.

Phillippio said:
We just got a 2004 259lt (GVWR 6400) Nomad.  We are going to tow it with a 99 expedition.  The tow rating with the tow package is 7900.

I have towed lots of equipment on trailers and have never had one, and never noticed a need.

You ever tow 3.2 tons of equipment in a load 10 feet high and 25 feet long with plenty of longitudinal x-section exposed to cross winds and buffeting by 18 wheeler shock waves?    In a trailer that loads about 15%, 900 lbs, of its weight on your bumper?

As we said in your other thread, you need a WD hitch system with anti-sway provisions.

Hello:
A soft but FIRM suggestion.

For your safety, as well as others behind you..... get the WDH.... and in particular, get the "Equalizer".
They have a web page with a movie showing you how to install.... and, everything you will need in your evaluation of units, and all good.
My Experience:
Traveling south on Rt. 45 (n. of Tupelo, MS) without a Weight Ddistribution Hitch (WDH) my trailer's "Hitch Ball nut came off (not tight in first place but, vibration and stress of gallopping did the rest). Thank God no one was killed. Chains prevented it from separating from TV, but, hearing BANG, feeling push, and looking in mirror to see my 19' trailer on two wheels about to go on side was very scary to say least! And all those 18 wheelers whizzing by, blowing their Air Horns as I got stopped, I know they'd be glad to hear I learned a lesson.
TV rear bumper had dents all over as trailer hit it a few times before I got stopped. I no longer have that trailer, but bought "Equalizer" a soon as I got home.

You can not afford NOT TO.....

Have fun and good luck

Ford states that with a weight carrying hitch the maximum trailer weight an Expedition's receiver can handle is 4000 lbs with a 400 lb tongue weight. Anything more requires a weight distributing hitch. This info comes from the 2002 Ford towing Guide (the most recent available on Ford's website) but there is no reason to believe the 99 Expedition is any different. 

Definitely go with a Weight distributing hitch.

I am convinced!

I will get the weight distribution hitch!

I will probably go with the sway control also.

Thanks for all the input.  I was not aware they were so important.

Any brand recommendations besides the Equalizer?

Thanks for the advice.  I did get the WDH and it works great.

I got the husky brand from the dealer.  Now I have to add sway control to it.

Back
Top Bottom