Weight distribution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scudman

I am looking for information on the the weight distribution between two coaches.  A CC Intrique and a Beaver Patriot of the same length.  How would one find out how a fully loaded (wet) coach would have all that weight distributed on the chassis?  Are they all designed for a 50-50 distribution or?
Thanks

Coaches are usually fully loaded when in use. So just look at the info plate near the driver's seat for the front and rear axle wt ratings.

Hi Scudman,

The coach will have a plaque that gives the GVWR but you won't know how it's distributed unless you way all four corners. The only way I know how to do that is at an FMCA rally where an outfit will do the weighing for you and give you a computer printout of the results. Be sure you have it loaded the way you will normally travel. If possible empty your holding tanks and, perhaps, leave a 1/4 tank of water in the fresh water tank as you will need some when traveling for flushing the toilet and drinking water. I think their fee is around $30 or so. Well worth the expense!

Another way to get an approximation is to find a truck stop with scales or a moving van company. They will usually weigh your coach for a small fee. This is not the best solution but far better than just guessing.

You are going to find that the majority of the weight will be on the rear axle. In many cases it's hard to put enough on the front to take up all that it is capable of carrying.

Are they all designed for a 50-50 distribution or?

No, it will be nowhere near 50/50.  Take a look at the individual axle ratings and you will see the rear has to carry most the weight, probably 2/3 of the total.  The actual amounts will vary tremendously, depending on floor plan and fuel & water tank locations and how much fluid is typically in those tanks.  There is no practical way to assess it except to weigh the coach.  You can get front and rear axle weights as any truck scale (many truck stops have them) and some of them allow you to get a corner by corner weight by driving partially on the scale.  Side to side weight distribution can be an important factor indetermining correct tire pressure.

I don't think I was very clear on the way I asked the question.  What I want to know is, the difference in how the total weight is distributed between the CC  and the Beaver.  Does one have the genset in back and one in the front for instance.  In the front would make more sense since it would offset the weight of the engine in back.  Are the holding tanks mounted towards the rear of the chassis on one coach and more towards the middle of the chassis on another.  I understand that the rear axle is going to be rated higher than the front because most of the weight on a DP is in the rear.  Just wondering if CC or Beaver does a better job of putting the heavy stuff like gensets, holding tanks in places on the chassis that provides the best weight distribution.

Thanks again

Scudman,

We used to have a 98 CC Intrigue. The genset was in a compartment on the streetside under the couch. That put more weight on that side than one mounted in front. I don't know if they have changed that policy. For me, a genset should be mounted dead center in the front, preferably with a slide out for access. Holding tanks should be mounted so the majority of the weight is applied across the cross section of the coach. A more forward mounting position will place more weight towards the front. Much of the time your holding tanks should be empty.

IMHO the ideal locations for the Genset, Fuel tank, Fresh, black and grey water tanks on a diesel pusher is along the center line of the coach, between the frame rails.  Genset in front followed by the fuel tank and the water tanks further aft just forward of the 800HP engine and transmission and rear axle.

On a gas powered coach the genset should be on one side and the propane tank opposite with water and fuel tanks located along the center line.

Scudman,
I am all but sure both of those rigs will have front mounted gensets.  It should be pretty easy to verify.

As for tank locations, it tends to be driven by the floor plan rather than manufacturer.  They know where they would like to locate them, but there is only so much room and there are many constraints in an RV chassis.  For example, the black tank will be under the toilet unless it has one of the few toilets that has a pump to move the "stuff" elsewhere - there is no room for a downhill runto a remote tank  like on a home septic system.  Fuel tanks are usually located between the frame rails and somewhat midships - look for the fuel filler  port(s)  to get a good clue.  And none of the water tanks in a pusher will be behind the rear axle because the engine and tranny are already there.

Bottom line is there probably is no material difference between the two on this score, at least none that can be generalized from the fact that one is a Beaver and the other an American Coach.

Bottom line is there probably is no material difference between the two on this score, at least none that can be generalized from the fact that one is a Beaver and the other an American Coach.

I think the original question referenced a Beaver and an Intrigue which is a Country Coach.

Back
Top Bottom