Weight issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livinwild

I'm looking at living in my travel trailer full time. I'm concerned about how much weight the floor will support. The reason I'm concerned is because the bed I want to use is a water tube bed. I am not sure how much it weighs but I'm guessing several hundred pounds. A friend said that since the camper has a steel frame it'll be fine but I'm not sure. Is there a way to verify that this is ok, or does anyone know?

To get a good answer you will need to disclose more information...

What type of travel trailer?
Will the travel trailer ever be moved?
How much water are we talking about?

I'm not sure what a water tube bed is, But if it's similar to a standard water bed I would be concerned about the weight. A queen size waterbed weighs about 1500 pounds

To get a good answer you will need to disclose more information...

What type of travel trailer?
Will the travel trailer ever be moved?
How much water are we talking about?

I'm not sure what a water tube bed is, But if it's similar to a standard water bed I would be concerned about the weight. A queen size waterbed weighs about 1500 pounds
It's an older ~30' travel trailer and it will not be moved with the weight in it. A water tube bed is exactly what it sounds like - tubes full of water that are placed in a plastic tray. Yes, it's a queen size so there are seven tubes. Still, less water than a standard waterbed. I wish I knew how many gallons of water was in each tube then I could easily calculate the weight, but I don't. This link shows you the tubes if that helps (Somma Free Flow Somma Replacement Tube).

In the ad it says they weigh 35 to 40 pounds. Is that correct? Are these the tubes you have? If it is so 7 tubes will weigh 280 pounds. That would be nothing for your trailer .

In the ad it says they weigh 35 to 40 pounds. Is that correct? Are these the tubes you have? If it is so 7 tubes will weigh 280 pounds. That would be nothing for your trailer .
Oh!! I did not see that on that page! Thank you! I have no idea if that is correct but I am happy to know the trailer floor can accommodate that. What do you think the maximum weight is that the trailer floor could handle as a static load in one place?

What do you think the maximum weight is that the trailer floor could handle as a static load in one place?
No one will give you a definite answer because there are so many variables. Thickness, materials, condition of those materials, structural supports, is the RV frame directly under the bed and many more I’m sure.

Another issue would be,, is this bed in a frame above the floor, or laying flat on the floor.. If in a frame, then the weight will be concentrated on the legs and each will have a considerable impact on the floor instead of being distributed evenly across the floor..>>>Dan

No one will give you a definite answer because there are so many variables. Thickness, materials, condition of those materials, structural supports, is the RV frame directly under the bed and many more I’m sure.
Thanks. I was looking for an estimate. I'm not going to hold anyone accountable. I appreciate you finding that info on that page. Honestly I didn't read the page, just wanted a link so you knew what I was talking about. I asked a friend who has helped me move the tubes before if they agreed with 40 lbs as an estimate for a tube and they replied "40-60 pounds, somewhere in there". So that makes it 280-420 lbs for the tubes, which seems manageable. Hopefully I can use this bed because I'm not sure I have any other options.

Another issue would be,, is this bed in a frame above the floor, or laying flat on the floor.. If in a frame, then the weight will be concentrated on the legs and each will have a considerable impact on the floor instead of being distributed evenly across the floor..>>>Dan
It's flat on the floor. So floor-box-foam tray-plastic tray-tubes-topper. I usually sleep in the middle so maybe that helps with weight distribution?

Your floor is probably 5/8 OSB. That board should be able to hold 100lb/sq/ft on a 24 inch span.

As someone noted above if the tubes are in a pan and the pan is on the floor you should be fine. If it was supported by 4 legs (point loading) you might have a problem.

Look at it another way - A 250# person standing on one foot doesn't go through the floor, right?

My 47 gallon water tank under the bed weighs 376# full and it does fine as well and it's a smaller footprint than your bed.

Your floor is probably 5/8 OSB. That board should be able to hold 100lb/sq/ft on a 24 inch span.

As someone noted above if the tubes are in a pan and the pan is on the floor you should be fine. If it was supported by 4 legs (point loading) you might have a problem.

Look at it another way - A 250# person standing on one foot doesn't go through the floor, right?

My 47 gallon water tank under the bed weighs 376# full and it does fine as well and it's a smaller footprint than your bed.
Thank you for the math, I greatly appreciate that. I am trailer stupid so I am super grateful for all the information. And, you're right about the 250# person! I feel so much better now.

Still like to know whether he is going to try this in the Northern USA or Southern USA.
For the obvious reasons he may not make it through the winter in the north.

OOHHH He would make it ok,, but it could get a little hard:rolleyes: on the back.

Good point. The bed has been in unheated and poorly heated spaces before without an issue. I also plan to skirt the trailer so that the underside won't be open to the elements.

One thing however is you want to drain the thing before towing..... and you may wish to upgrade the stablizers on that end of the trailer
The trailer will not be moved with the bed installed. Once the trailer is in its final location it will be completely stabilized on blocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom