weight sticker in cabinet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterwolf

Hello All, Is the weight sticker that is usually in the kitchen cabinet a weight for that particular unit or is it a general model weight? Also would it include all mandatory options from the factory and all standard items? I'm interested in a wildcat 29rlbs that is suppose to be 7760# dry, does anyone have this model and  had it weighed to know for sure? Thanks

Most of the numbers on the weight label will be ratings. UVW will be the actual weight of an example RV. The only sure way to find out the weight of your unit with your options and your stuff loaded on board is take it to a public scale and weigh it.

We have a Glossary of RV terms in our library that will help explain the various weight/rating numbers on the sticker.

Tom

Other than the scales at Flying J etc for weighing the whole vehicle, are there any places that can actually weigh all the wheels separately ie portable scales ?

Thanks
Paul

The RVSEF (formerly A'Weigh We Go) will weigh each wheel on your RV.? They are at many rallies including FMCA and Escapades.  See http://www.rvsafety.org/schedule.cfm for their schedule.

UK-RV said:
Tom

Other than the scales at Flying J etc for weighing the whole vehicle, are there any places that can actually weigh all the wheels separately ie portable scales ?

You should be able to weigh individual axles by simply moving each axle off the scale in turn and recording separate weights.  A bit of bookkeeping should get you the weight on each.  You will have to let the weighmaster know what you are doing and he may well charge extra, but on the other hand you do not need to get a certified weight so that should cut the price a bit.

Ned - thanks for that. do you know how much they charge to attend the seminar or to get the coach weighed ?

Carl - i havent yet taken a close look at those fixed scales. but they do appear at first glance to be fairly narrow - is there room to get half the coach to one side and off the scale ?

thanks
paul

Paul, most Flying J scales I've seen are elevated. Moving the coach to one side might find it falling off the scale. But Carl was talking about front/rear axles. Some contract/garden materials yards have scales that you can use for a nominal fee. Also keep an eye open for signs that say "Public scales" that might be close to various truck stops, but not necessarily part of them.

"...weigh individual axles...."

Thanks Tom - I guess I should read more thoroughly? :-[

Paul

For those using the weight to determine tire inflation, check out the article in our library. Click the Library button above, select RV how-to's and click on Correct tire inflation pressure.

Paul,

The seminars are free to attendees of the events.  The events themselves will have a fee to attend and those will vary considerably.  The weighing cost is reasonable, the last time they weighed us in 2001 it was $30.

is there room to get half the coach to one side and off the scale ?
I don't think so at most Flying J's but other places have scales too. As Tom says, watch for "Public Scales" signs at truck stops. Pilot Truck Centers have "Cat" certified public scales and the few I've looked at would permit a one-side -only approach without throwing you too far off level. I haven't asked about it, tough. See http://www.catscale.com/ for a listing of locations. And they are 3 platform scales, so you can get separate axle readings on truck trailer combos in one pass (as well as motorhomes, which need only two platforms for this). Always inquire first, though. Some scale operators may not permit single side weighing, even if the scale physically permits it.

A local moving van company or a yard that handles stone, coal or grain may have scales and will usually let you weigh for a small fee (or maybe even free, as a small town grain elevator did for me).

Also would it include all mandatory options from the factory and all standard items?

It is supposed to include all manufacturer installed equipment, but I don't think it truly reflects all possible options on a particular model. In the past there have been really egregious violations of the spirit of the RVIA stickers - in one known case the manufacturer didn't even include the furniture in the weight.  Fortunately (and largely through the safety efforts of Aweigh-We-Go and John Anderson) that sort of abuse has pretty much gone away and certainly the RVIA does not condone it, but they don't do much to actively enforce their mandates either. The RVIA pretty much a gentleman's club and they don't tell tales or slap hands.

Tire and axle manufacturers in particular have heeded the call for proper weighing and I suspect they in turn have pressured RV manufacturers to be more realistic in their weights. But the Rv manufacturers are their customers, so they can't push too hard.  The fear of a public spectacle such as the Explorer tire debacle, which was more Ford's fault than the tire company, has probably had an effect.

Bottom line: if the listed gross weight is at or near your limit, there's a good chance the actual weight will be over. Get it weighed before signing any papers or be prepared to spend real money to fix the problem. Maybe including a bigger truck. If the listed unladen weight is anywhere near your limit, then you are in trouble anyway. Nobody underloads an RV, despite their best intentions.

Back
Top Bottom