Weird Electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

Okay heres one for ya...engine running, I go to press the levels check button and my STEPS EXTEND!!!, Now what in the world could that be??? TIA for any and all help

Weirdness like that is usually caused by the few things those systems have in common, namely power and ground. If there was say a poor connection in either one, what can happen is when one is operated there's a change in current or voltage at the other that triggers an unexpected operation. In my travels this can sometimes require a deep dive into the connections of each system to pinpoint the issue but a quick way to help isolate it would be to "jump" the power and grounds of those systems and see if the symptoms change. That might narrow down the wiring and connections you'd have to trace through.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You might rule out the easy stuff first. I had weirdness like this (I called it "possessed") and it turned out to be a bad reed switch on the screen door. At first the problem seemed to be based on where I was standing inside the RV. I figured it out when I could recreate the problem by jiggling the wires near the switch.

Those switches tend to go bad after awhile which was the case with mine. You can buy replacements off Amazon. In my case I didn't know if my steps expected a switch that was "default open" or "default closed" so I got one that could do either. It's a fairly simple fix .. and I am not particularly handy.

I did notice the sensor was side-ways,
You might start by repairing it so it is as it should be. The steps extend when a door switch senses the door open and retract when it is closed. If that is what is somehow crossed with you indicator switch, there should be a switch near the door that makes the steps stay where they are if the door opens or closes. Try changing that switch to keep the steps in and then see if the problem still happens. If it does not, look for the place the wires as somehow damaged.

As soon as I can check it I will, I just got back to work after being off sick for a month and playing "catch up". Thanks to all suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom