West Yellowstone Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Booked at Colter Bay for 10 days in May.  Would like to go to West Yellowstone area from Colter Bay.  Any recommendations for campgrounds in that area?  Thanks

Grizzly RV Park is a nice park. There are other campgrounds in the area; The only one we've stayed at was the KOA, but would definitely not return, for various reasons.

Grizzly is very nice and in a convenient location.

ArdraF

Grizzly is very nice though expensive. Then again, so are the rest of the private campgrounds. If you want to stay there (our favorite full hookup place) get your reservations in early. They sell out during the season. Three miles north of West Yellowstone there is a Forest Service campground (Bakers Hole) with a reasonable number of sites suitable for big rigs, and some even have electric. However it is non-reservable.

Grizzly is the only way to go.  We've stayed in many RV parks over the years and this is one of the nicest, cleanest we've ever stayed in.  Very friendly staff.  Wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Yellowstone.  Oh, be sure to visit the Wolf and Grizzly Discovery Center.  We just stopped in to see what it was all about and spent an entire day there.  Only about 3 blocks from the RV park.

Ditto on Grizzly RV park.  The rest in town are mostly crummy!  Also, even though expensive, Grizzly has good laundry facilities and they also let you wash your RV right at your spot!

Fortunately night comes late, and ends early in the summer.  Yes it is dark, yes there are critters, both large and small, but if you keep your speed reasonable, and don't get close to overdriving your headlights.

I booked two weeks at Buffalo Crossing RV Park for June two days after they began taking reservations the first of December and they were already booking up, forcing me to change my dates by one day. They are cheaper than Grizzly and I haven't heard anything bad about them since being taken over by new management. Any parks in this area are more expensive than other parts of the country because they can be, and I didn't find any that provide weekly rates or discounts.

This may be our home RV park for the summer.  (Buffalo Crossing). Newer park, nothing fancy.  However, you should be running around the National Park, not hanging in the RV park.  Good ice cream, coffee shop grocery within short walk.

At night the "reasonable" speed is too fast, the limit is 45 and that is too fast, the distances between curves are normally short so you really have to on your toes. Throw in your being unfamiliar with the route and it becomes stupid.>>>D

Having lived in the interior of Yellowstone for 10 years, reasonable has limits.  While max speed is 45, that doesn't make it a reasonable speed at night.  Many critters are hit annually, small, large and huge.  When you consider how many cars are in the park and how many it is a pretty small percentage, but 1 collision is too many for both the critter and the vehicle.

Also an Imax theatre if you need a movie fix.

We liked Grizzly RV Park when we stayed there. Nice town.

Actually, I did notice this new park this past June, and it looks OK, so I take back what I said about all the other RV parks in W. Yellowstone being "crummy."  (Most of the rest of the RV parks are on dirt and cramped.)  This one is brand-new and pretty basic, but even I might try it, although I swore I would never again go to Yellowstone in the summer!  It is also almost as expensive as Grizzly, however.  They really have needed one or two newer RV parks in that town, so I am glad this one is open.

It looks like a big advantage is the closeness to town, which might make it a big noisy, but you will be able to walk to almost anywhere in the town.  Check out the little ice cream stand on the corner of the main street and enjoy some huckleberry ice cream.  And wander next door to visit the grizzly bears in the rescue center. 

JudyJB said:
Actually, I did notice this new park this past June, and it looks OK, so I take back what I said about all the other RV parks in W. Yellowstone being "crummy."  (Most of the rest of the RV parks are on dirt and cramped.)  This one is brand-new and pretty basic, but even I might try it, although I swore I would never again go to Yellowstone in the summer!  It is also almost as expensive as Grizzly, however. 

Sorry, but I have to correct you on the price. Grizzly, this year, is charging $95-99 per night for pull through sites, while Buffalo Crossing is charging $65. With Good Sam discount, my charge was $64.28 per night after adding taxes. That's why I chose this park. I refuse to pay $100/night for RV sites regardless of their luxury, especially when I am staying for two weeks.

John Stephens said:
Grizzly, this year, is charging $95-99 per night for pull through sites,

Last summer (2018) we were charged ~$70/night for a premium pull-through at Grizzly in late August and they weren't 100% full.  This appears to be quite a price hike.  I've been using that price as an example of a park that wasn't gouging its customers.  I guess I'll have to stop using that example!

Back
Top Bottom