Westward Ho...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King

I intend to visit family in CA soon.  I have made the trip from MA to MO with no problems (except for hitting a deer in PA) and need to know if there are any serious mountains on the I44 and I40 from MO to CA.I guess I could buy the mountain book, but my Scot ancestry balks for only one route.
Thanks,
Art

Well yes you do hit mountains just outside of Albuquerque and then head thru the Zu?is and on to the Colorado Plateau (6000' elevation) before you drop into the Colorado River Valley near Kingman.  Then you climb over the San Bernardino Mits near Victorville CA on I-15.  However, unless your RV is excessively pitiful or overloaded, you should have no problems. 

Shouldn't be a problem. There are a few ups and downs outside of Albuquerque and also near Flagstaff and a nice drop down from Williams heading toward Kingman. Then there's Cajon Pass going into the L.A. basin but that's almost all downhill. Be sure your brakes are in good shape but you should be fine.

Art,

I-40 out of Albequrque does have a climb but I doubt you will have a problem with a decent rig. Most interstates seem to keep the grade fairly sensible but there are some exeptions. Keep asking here on the forum and I'm sure a member will have the answeer.

You begin a slight ascent from the NM state line to Albuquerque.  Fuel consumption will be up and you will have to pull harder.  The possibility of a headwind is high in this direction.  Once at the top of Sedillo Hill just outside of Albuquerque you begin a nice downhill ride into the City.  About 5 mile out of ALb there will be construction with some lane drops.  Straight shot thru the City and then you begin to climb 9 mile hill.  You must maintain 65MPH in the passing lane.  Once past that there will be some ups and downs and then it levels out pretty well.  The next big climb will be Flagstaff and then it begins a downhill slide after that.  Be prepared for blistering heat, (110+) after Kingman but it will level off.  I have never had any trouble in those areas.  Good luck on your trip...Phil 

Back
Top Bottom