WF-8955 Power Converter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul322

New member
Joined
Jun 21, 2022
Posts
3
Location
Louisiana
I own a 2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK, I am trying to figure out why my ceiling light starts acting like a strobe light. I have read and seen where it says by manual and other resources that it the power converter going bad? How can I personally test the converter I have in my RV to see If I need to replace or not. Here is what I am doing to cause the 30 Amp breaker switch to disconnect. I will be using my my coffee pot brewing, hot water heater when washing dishes, a air frier, and A/C going and it will pop my main 30Amp breaker. Other than that my ceiling lights will be on when washing dishes, warming something up in micro with a/c on. The the 30 Amp breaker will disconnect. Doing the suggestive testing by my manual, the light over my kitchen and breaker box will start doing doing strobe light effect. Is all this being caused by a faulty power converter? Please, help me to understanding this. Thanks
 

Martian

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2021
Posts
74
Location
Independent Republic of Horry
Have you considered using power management to relieve the issue? Sounds like you are maxing out on your 30 amps. It does not matter what converter you have if you keep overloading your circuits. Go through your manuals and make a list of how much each one draws. Then look at your typical usage and you will se that you are pushing past the limit. Simple things like putting the water heater and fridge on LP can gain you some amps.
All of my units have been 30 amp and it is always a juggling act to keep from going out and resetting the pedestal breaker.
 

JayArr

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Posts
1,390
Location
Mission British Columbia Canada
I agree with Martian, it sounds like you're just using too many things at once.

Just ballpark figures but I always figure AC is about 15A, the microwave is 10A, an electric HW heater could easily be 15A, a coffee pot could be 5-10A and the converter could be 10A. Is your fridge propane or electric? You can't turn everything on at the same time.

When the breaker trips the converter shuts off and the light is running on battery, it's possible that the batteries are weak and/or the LED bulb is defective causing the strobe effect.
 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
76,141
Location
West Palm Beach, FL
Bad (shorted cell) batteries can also have that effect. The converter repeatedly tries to charge the batteries and may briefly divert a lot of current to the charger. It quickly recognizes that the charger load is excessive and cuts it off. That brief but large diversion causes a dip in the power available for lighting and a "strobe" effect.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
26,271
Location
Davison Michigan
I have had LED lights strobe.. It is a failure mode of LED lights... Both 12 and 120 volt lamps have done this as they fail.. Eventually they fail fully.. Just replaced one in my bathroom last week that was strobing.
Since this post is titled with the name of your converter

WF converters are good while they work
When they fail.. Upgrad to progressige Dynamics
If the converter is part of the power distribution panel PD 4600 series
If it's a "Stand alone" 2300 Series
Match the last two digits of the model as close as you can.
 
Top Bottom