What are your favorite Android APPs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim and di

Now I am entering a new world of smart phones and have discovered swype, voice testing, water bubble, golflogix, compass, and navigation. What else is out there.
Jim

That might be a long lisr list Jim  ;D  Run a search on "apps" and you'll see some prior suggestions.

Other than the obvious phone functions, I find the most useful apps to be gmail, email, calendar, and Google maps.  That's on the Droid Bionic, on the Nexus tablet I would add Chrome, Firefox, Kindle, and a couple solitaire card games for wasting time :)

My wife thinks the most useful app on my smartphone is FoxFi because it allows her to user her 6 different wifi Kindles when we are out and about.  Personally I use Spiceworks and teamviewer quite a bit, but that is work stuff.  Everyone has there own needs and preferances which is one thing the apps are really good at catering to.  Just have fun.

Jeff

The most amazing app I have found is SoundHound. It is definitely not for everyone, but it is totally amazing to watch it in action. It is a music identification program. If you are listening to a song on the radio (or where ever) and you don't know the name of the song and want to know the name of the song then turn on SoundHound and it will identify the song. What you do is hold the phone so that it can hear the song and tap a button. SoundHound takes an acoustic fingerprint of the song, finds a match in it's 10 million song data base, and then displays the name of the song, the singer, the album, and other bits of info.

And as they say in the infomercials, "but wait"!

On most common songs it will scroll the lyrics of the song in real time. It is possible for you to hum, whistle or sing a song and have it identified also. Naturally if you want to buy the song or the album the link is right there.

It is totally amazing watching this program in action. It just seems like an impossible task given the number of songs in the universe and the number of variations of each song. However I have had a success rate of about 99% correct answers. I even tried it on an obscure 1935 Bob Wills tune and it had no problem coming up with the correct answer.

There are two versions of the app, free and the Infinity version for $5.99. Here is a link to the free version. It gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from user reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/SoundHound-Inc/dp/B004RZGIBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352822652&sr=8-1&keywords=soundhound

There are a few places you should visit with your apps already installed or browser

The Amazon app store
The phone maker's app store
Your service provider's app store if any
www.Androidzoom.com
Google app store

The app stores are all applications on the phone as a rule.

Start by typing the word FREE in the search box.. Many applications have both a free and a "Premimum" or Pro version,  You can thus try, and if you like it buy (thus u nlocking additional features)

Kitchen Timer.. neat, useful if you need that kind of thing, the pro version lets you choose the ring (The free uses the default, since everything else is customized, I use the free and set the default to POSTMAN which is the closest to a genuine ktichen timer I got).

All Stays - great ap for finding campgrounds, Elks and other lodges, dump stations, low bridges, and more. Well worth the $2.99 price

If you're into geocaching, the geocaching ap is wonderful, lets you find and record caches from your phone.

Gas Buddy for finding the cheapest gas around

Lots of book aps, game aps, nature identifying aps.

Find wineries, traffic conditions, parks

MapMyRide, MapMyHike,m AllTraikls, EveryTrail if you're into hiking and biking

Area Codes and Zip Code Tools

So many aps, so little time.

Without a doubt the Android's Google MAPS with Google's NAVIGATION. 

For motorhomers FANDANGO is also very useful because if you turn on your GPS's and go to Fandango you can see all the movie theaters that are closest to wherever you are currently camping and what movies they are currently showing.  The theaters address is there so you can then put it into Google Navigation and your smart phone will direct you from the campground to the movie theater of your choice.  It's all neat and tidy, especially when you are in a new town!

JerryF

Google MAPS and NAVIGATION.  If you're in a big city you can turn on the Traffic layer and get color coded information about traffic slowdowns on all of the crosstown freeways and major surface streets.  I use that a lot here in L.A. <g>

WiFi Analyzer will give you a snapshot of the available wifi networks in your location and whether they're open or encoded without having to turn on your computer.

Bubble Level lets you turn you phone into a bubble level.  Put it on the floor next to your drivers seat or another known level location and use it to level the rig.

I like the flixter movie app better than fandango, and Frank likes fandango better. There's the speedometer, bubble level, fast food finder, and quell if your interested in brain/ logic. And the list goes on. Do a search in the play store for anything you interested in and see what comes up.

There's had been a few fixes to the juice defender batter app.So I think it's working pretty good. It's also a great tool. And the onavo count app, which keeps track of how much data you use. And flags the app data hoggers on your device.

When you register your device with Amazon or Google Play it will have a box on each apps page letting you know if the app will work with your device.

To access forums, you can use an app called Forum Runner which you download from the app store for your specific device (e.g., Apple Store for iPhone). The cost for this is about $1.99 USD I believe. I prefer this for the better navigation controls and improved features for posting, reading, and replying to threads, as well as responding to PMs, etc. More information about the iPhone/iPad version of Forum Runner is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin-phpbb/id362527234?mt=8

Or, you can use an app called Tapatalk, also available for a variety of mobile devices and operating systems. I believe the price currently is about $2.99 USD. I find this a bit more complicated to use but it does have more features than the other two options. More information about the iPhone/iPad version is available at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-forum-app/id307880732?mt=8

Forum Runner and Tapatalk can also be used to access other forums that are enabled for these apps. Both provide a directory of forums that are available on different topics.

Do all these apps work the same on an Android tablet as a phone? The tablet came with a lot of apps on it but there are only a few I have tried.  So far I've mainly used the tablet as a hot spot and for navigation.  Now, I would like to broaden my horizons :)

JoAnn

Some apps are phone only, some are tablet only, and most are both.  There are enough differences between a smartphone and a tablet that it's not unusual for the same app to work differently on the two devices.  But the Play Store and Amazon will tell you which of your devices an app is compatible with when you go to download it.

Lou Schneider said:
Bubble Level lets you turn you phone into a bubble level.  Put it on the floor next to your drivers seat or another known level location and use it to level the rig.

I downloaded the Hammer and the Saw apps as well, Lou.  :) Actually, I do use the level as you have indicated when leveling my rig. I don't do Internet Sat installs anymore, but it would have been useful there as well.

Was thinking last night that the app I seem to use a lot is Flashlight. It turns the flash on and off to use as a flashlight and does a very nice job of lighting my path or finding my keys.

Also, I use Google+ Local as well. Have added buttons for Chinese, KFC, Fry's, Grocery and so forth. It is especially nice when I land in a park and need - whatever. It displays, for example, all Chinese outlets in distance order, reviews on each, and then activates the navigation app for street by street driving instructions.

Find My Car is also used a lot. I really like that wherever I park, it will draw a as the crow flies straight line from wherever I am standing to where I parked my Jeep. Then gives me driving directions.

Ultrachron is a very useful stop watch and talking timer. And Alarm Clock connected external speakers works well.

Battery Solo widget is nice as well. Keeps me informed within the widget display of how I am doing during the day. I keep it right beside my digital time app. It then displays everything and more I would ever want to know about my battery.

Sometimes I am may miss a call - and that is not good if in business. So Number Guru let's me know almost exactly where the call came from.

I keep GasBuddy and Gas Prices apps handy for finding the best prices wherever I am.

To listen to radio, especially while on long lonesome highways, I use Tunein. Have my preselects programmed, plus can then search by Music, Sports, News, Talk, or whatever.

For whatever reason, my Samsung Charge does not tell me when I have a voice mail waiting. And I have the latest firmware. So I downloaded an app called NoLed that "does" tell me via a nice display. I really like it because if my phone is asleep, it will post on the black screen anyway.

TomTom does not as far as I know, include altitude. There are 3rd party add on's, but they are no very accurate from what I read on the TomTom forums. So I now use the Altitude app. And that "is" nice and very accurate.

For a display clock, I don't use the large one most have anymore - because it takes up too much room. So instead, I like and use Digital Clock Widget. It only takes up the space of two other icons.

Back
Top Bottom