What brake controller to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cavalry6869

I am getting ready to install an electric brake controller in my tow vehicle.  The vehicle is a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban.  I understand that this vehicle should already have a factory plug in the dash.  I am interested in suggestions for which controller would be best for a new driver with a relatively light weight (2002 Aerostar A30R = 5608 pounds dry) travel trailer.  I have been thinking about the Prodigy for some time, but who knows cause I am a newbie to towing.  Suggestions?  Explanation why please.

Ed
Westminster, MD

You can't beat the Prodigy. They will be able to supply an adapter that will plug into your vehicle that will make the installation piece of cake.

I'll second Prodigy.. But then.. I don't know who runs the company now but in about 1987 the CEO was an old classmate of mine :)

I grew up in Tekonsha after all.

I agree that the Prodigy is the way to go. I have one and was very easy to hook up. If you buy the adapter for your vehicle at the same time, it's just mount, plug and go.

Thanks to everyone for the input.  I had been looking into installing a brake controller on another vehicle about two years ago.  That was to pull a 12X7 cargo trailer. That was when I read some write ups on the Prodigy.  Although it seemed a little more pricey than some others, the write up actually convinced me it was worth it.  At that time I figured the Prodigy was a little bit of overkill and decided on a lesser model.  Your comments have reinforced my decision to use the Prodigy with the travel trailer.  Thanks.

Ed

Re "Overkill" when it comes to brakes and brake controllers

You will NEVER be sorry you used the better product

You MAY be sorry you did not.

Or as I've been known to say

A car that won't go.. Is safe.. A car that won't stop.. Is not

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey