What brands of middle of the road Trailers are decent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

homeby5

I know..I know...it's a broad question bordering on silly but the bottom line is that I am new to this world and am looking to buy around a 25ft trailer in the next month. I am leaving the Keys and will drive up to Central Florida to do some shopping and as you all know there are MANY brands and I basically would like to pick your brains for those I should look at...or avoid. I cannot afford an Airstream so I am looking at other brands.I trust you guys more instead of cold reviews.
Looking to spend up to $35k for new.

You will be strongly advised that buying new is among the worst thing you can do.
First year depreciation can approach 50% of MSRP (whatever that means)
Most problems with a trailer are usually evident the first year.
So buying gently used one  to three year old trailer is a good way to go.

darsben said:
You will be strongly advised that buying new is among the worst thing you can do.
First year depreciation can approach 50% of MSRP (whatever that means)
Most problems with a trailer are usually evident the first year.
So buying gently used one  to three year old trailer is a good way to go.
Thank you.
Any brands you recommend to look for that seem to have a good rep?

For your region Lance is probably your best option.  Here in the PNW we have Northwood products and its sister company OutdoorRV.  Both build excellent trailers on a really sturdy frames.

Lynx0849 said:
Find a floor plan you love. Then find a trailer with that floor plan you can afford that is in good shape.

Yup. It's a very common question because everyone thinks Ford, Chevy, Dodge, but for RVs it really doesn't work that way. They all use the same appliances (except extreme high end) and interior items. To a degree, spending more probably buys you better quality, but not always.

The price class (based on original MSRP) is highly indicative of some base quality attributes, e.g. materials used, chassis strength/stiffness, general workmanship, insulation, etc.  RV manufacturers get the price down by cutting corners everywhere. RVs in the same price range will be pretty much alike in those things and probably have similar amenities as well.  Models in the mid or upper end of the price range are built using better materials (e.g. upholstery, flooring, cabinetry, electronics), have a more robust chassis (frame), better insulation, and usually better workmanship.

The wrinkle is that RV quality is inconsistent regardless of price class.  Each one is essentially hand-built and things happen, e.g.  a skilled guy is out sick that day and somebody fills in for him, or a worker gets behind schedule and rushes through some aspects of the job, or maybe they run short of a part on a given day and substitute something else.  Even the best RV manufacturers turn out some incredible lemons on an all-too-regular basis.  Thus a pre-owned RV is often higher quality than a new one, either because it was better originally or the bugs have already been flushed out. 

Think in terms of a house rather than a car and you will have fewer misconceptions about RVs and RV dealers.  The roof is more important than the wheels and the plumbing & electric is critical to success.

I agree with other that used is a way better buy.
You will get a higher class unit for less.
There are many gently used excellent units out there.
You just need to shop around. Not as easy as going into an RV dealer and taking one home, but far better value.
I've done it both ways and have far better satisfaction with used.
My first 2 units were new, last 4 used.
I purchased an outstanding Sunnybrook 30FKS for $6K and am very, very happy with it. When new it's msrp was $30K

Trouble with buying used Lance trailers in our (FL) area is availability. Have been looking for several years and hardly any in the southeast U.S. But you can check out new Lances at Ocean Grove RV in St Augustine or Lazy Days near Orlando to see if you like the build quality. Northwood RVs (Nash/Arctic Fox) seem to be more plentiful used here. 

Don?t limit your search to only local dealers. After all, you plan (I presume) to travel with it so make a trip to go get it if needed. Hire an inspector local to the unit to advise you of its condition.

My journey has been a little different.  First 3 used and last one new.

The first 2 of those 3 were from private parties and excellent units.  The last was from a dealer (Camp World) and well....that unit had to go at a significant loss to me.

On the current unit I knew exactly what I wanted but used ones are hard to find and you have to travel and have time to do so to get.  So I bought new.

No regrets on any of em (well, some on the used/dealer unit) but end of the day I'm a happy camper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom