What can I tow my load with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davenjeip

Guess this is the right place to put this, since I am definitely new to all this and really have no idea yet what I am looking at.

Just starting to do some research on getting a used RV in the range of the next six months to a year.  Hoping to narrow down the field a bit so I can start figuring out what is important to me and the wife.

Need to tow my Jeep on a trailer with it.  Total weight will be roughly 5,500 pounds with brakes on both trailer axles.  Also, not looking to go anywhere fast.

For Sale ads don't seem to ever include the info I need, and I prefer to know more than a salesman before I ever speak to one.

Will any class C's handle that kind of weight?

Is it common for Class A's to be able to handle that?

Dave,

It's unlikley that a class C will be able to haul it and most gas class A's are limited to 5,000 lbs by the hitch. OTOH most diesel coaches will have both the power and the towing capacity to tow that much. However, before buying, you need to look for either a placard near the driver's seat or a poster inside a cabinet. Check the GCWR and GVWR ratings and plug them into the example in this example in our forum library.

Feel free to ask for clarification.

I learned something new again today. Didn't realize there were diesel class C's.

Why tow the Jeep on a trailer, they can usually be towed 4 down. You place the transfer case in neutral and away you go.

Nelson

Need to tow my Jeep on a trailer with it.  Total weight will be roughly 5,500 pounds with brakes on both trailer axles.  Also, not looking to go anywhere fast.

Unless your jeep is only a two wheel drive why in the world would you want to haul it on a trailer.  Jeep 4X4 are ideal for towing 4 down with no modification to the drive train.  We have towed a jeeps over 100K 4 down and would never NEVER consider using a trailer or dolly.  If it is only a two wheel drive then call Remco that would sure beat a trailer.

N Smock said:
Why tow the Jeep on a trailer, they can usually be towed 4 down. You place the transfer case in neutral and away you go.

Nelson

I get what y'all are saying.  For what y'all do with flat towing a vehicle behind a RV, a Jeep TJ is setup perfect.

However, how I use my Jeep is not the way that most people do.  I abuse it hard on rocks all weekend, and breaking parts is pretty much the norm.

Simply put, if the wheels won't turn, there are major suspension parts damaged, the steering system is busted, etc. then it would be very unsafe to flat tow.  In my hobby, a trailer is pretty much a necessity.

If you don't understand, check out my website for an idea of what I do. www.davenjeip.com

Dave,

You're obviously a serious off-roader  ;D

Now I understand completely.  While we take the GC offroad we don't do the dificult trails.  Although some folks are suprised when we shopw photos of where we have taken the GC.  Oh the GC has skid plates and rock rails. :D

Back
Top Bottom